Substance Designer

Some guidelines before posting:
- This place is dedicated to feature requests and/new ideas suggestions. It is not made for bug reports (you can use the forum or the bug reporters for this).
- Before to create a new ticket, make sure your idea hadn’t been suggested before (if so it’s better to upvote it)
- 1 post = 1 idea

Thanks

1. right click and UI

I like how pressing space bar in graph window allows for searching nodes immediately. It would be convenient if the same search be made available upon right clicking. Currently it gives Add Node option and it requires for me to move mouse to pick what I need. This would further align with other software in similar workflow such as DynamoBim. Just a thought.

1 vote
    Sign in Sign in with Substance by Adobe
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Inject EXIF/Metadata on Output nodes/images

Had that "Crazy" idea this morning... Why not create a node or a way that simply inject METADATA (EXIT) on output images... That way we could identify an image as a BaseColour, Normal, Height, Without caring about it's naming. And i could write a "smart" script on my 3D Software that reads metadata from image and auto-connect then to the correct slots on a PBR material...

Is this too crazy ? lol I just want to put the "bots" to work for me. Just checked and Substance Designer don't handle metadata... 

That could be crazy if it works !

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Option to Disable windows Auto Dock on preferences (or per window)

Substance Designer.
    I always work with the 3D View floating and HUGE, and it's very ODD, everytime o move it around and it wants to dock everywhere into Substance Designer screen. It's amazing to have the Dock Option, but it's odd when you don't want it to dock. :)

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Random Position on Both Axis (Tile Sampler)

Could we have a random position slider for both X and Y on each tile sampler?

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Colour code exposed variable

In Substance designer would be cool if you can colour code exposed variables to easily see where they belong.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Null and Texture Merge Nodes

For Substance Designer I think it great if there was as system like the objectMerge and null nodes in Houdini where you could output parts of your graph to null nodes and then use the 'objectMerge' style node to retrieve data from those without having to physically connect the node. Think this would be a great way to get of messy graphs connections and overall add less clutter. There could even be an option to see these connections but as dotted lines or something when using the highlight flow display.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Pointer's Gamut check

Hello guys,
    I would love to see some sort of Pointer's Gamut check to make sure that albedo textures belong to real surface colors.
    It could be implemented in Legacy and when using ICC profiles as some kind of preview mode in the 2d view (like Esteban mentioned)?

Here is a link to an article about Pointer's gamut : https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/pointers_gamut.htm

And a pdf to explain a bit the tool and its purpose.
    (sorry for double request, one for each software)

Thanks !

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Add Ability to Create Arrays and Dictionaries in the Function Graphs

Currently, it is difficult to store information and get information that would normally get stored in an array or dictionary. I have created a tool that places objects along a bezier curve, and it would have made the creation easier if I could have stored the pascal triangle in a dictionary, finding the correct array of integers per number of bezier points.

Thanks!

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Modulate Parameters on per Pixel Basis

As is, only very few, specified things work on a per pixel basis. I think being able to modulate any given parameter on a per pixel basis would give a huge amount of freedom, which is needed to create more complex materials.

For instance, the position random in the shape splatter can only be applied uniformly over the whole texture space. But if you want to have a gradient control the amount of position random, you can't do it.

I see substance designer as a texture synthesizer, and as much you need time based modulation in an audio synthsizer, you…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. [ui / ux] Colored backgrounds for parameters (or parameter groups)

When a node has many parameters you always end up spending a lot of time searching for the ones you need. Groups help, but you still have to read their names again and again

Photoshop has a similar issue when you have a lot of layers. Their use of custom layer background colors makes it so much easier to find stuff at a glance.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Option to make "tessellation" default for Shaders

Every time Designer is opened, the shader definition (for the physically-shaders) is set back to "Parallax Occlusion." To display height map displacement in the 3D-View, the definition has to be changed to "Tessellation" manually every time and change the height scale from default 0, which is very annoying and time consuming because of all the nested menues. As for most substances you work on the height map for a very long time, there should be an option to not only choose which shader to start with, but also which shader definition (and ideally which heigh scale).

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Import/link and export Image Sequence

It would be great to have the option to load image (udim) sequence into Substance Designer and be able to export a bitmap sequence from one Output node.

For those who sometimes like to use Substance Designer as an image editor rather than just a material maker.

I would happily give up on nuke or other compositing programs If I could apply all the fantastic functions in Substance Designer onto my texture image sequence at once.

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. tiling in two directions independently in materials/edit

so we could test non square textures on default cube object without necessity to load custom geometry every time

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. 150% UI scaling support

Running both Designer and Painter on a 4K 27" display isn't a great experience. The UI scaling choices are either 100%, which is super tiny, or 200%, which is too big. Could support for arbitrary scaling be added please? Ideally Designer/Painter/Alchemist would match whatever scaling Windows is set to. Photoshop does this, and it works really nicely.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. exposable gradient map node

and connectable node inputs so it could take colors from some node graph .

Would be nice to use gradient map instead of gazillion of separate sliders with exposing it to other graphs

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Highlight the node that contains the exposed parameter selected

When working with a complex graph, with many parameters exposed, it would be helpful to be able to track the corresponding node of each parameter by highlighting it when the parameter is selected from the list (clicking on te drop down button of the parameter). It would make it easier to go back and alter the corresponding function if it doesn't work as desired

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. navigation

Navigation is different in Substance Painter to Substance Designer. Can I suggest you make them the same, as I find it extremely frustrating when switching between the programmes?

I use a tablet and a 3D SpaceMouse, so I have no middle mouse button. Ultimately I'd like you to support 3DConnexion's Spacemouse.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. cryptomatte to masks

Would be nice if SD courd read cryptomatte exrs and produce accurate masks from it.

Current colorID way is so outdated .

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Multi GPU Support

Add Support for export using multiple GPU at once in substance designer.

So far substance designer does not benefit from Multiple GPUs. this is extremely important for any work that require to batch bake and batch export a lot of textures, complex textures, UDIMs and so on.

Since Designer is extremely GPU expensive in the export phase it might be helpfull to have this feature, both in designer and in the automation toolkit

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Colour coded node connection lines

It would be useful for scene organisation and readability if node connection lines could be assigned different colours. In complex graphs the number of connection lines can be considerable, and as it's now impossible to click on an output and highlight its path to the end (if dot nodes have been used) this can make following a line to its conclusion quite time consuming.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Substance Designer

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base