Substance Designer

Some guidelines before posting:
- This place is dedicated to feature requests and/new ideas suggestions. It is not made for bug reports (you can use the forum or the bug reporters for this).
- Before to create a new ticket, make sure your idea hadn’t been suggested before (if so it’s better to upvote it)
- 1 post = 1 idea

Thanks

1. Wang tile algorithm

Add Wang tile algorithm to SD, here example https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wang_tile
    and here how its work with textures http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/55091

15 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Substance by Adobe
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Ruler

Introduce a ruler with unit selections for metrics, inches, pixels etc. similar to photoshop.

12 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Seamless Greyscale/Colour Node Switching

Its really annoying to have to provide two versions of the same node or to implement a hacky Greyscale/Colour switch on a graph (which means you have to reconnect nodes or get messy with greyscale/colour conversion nodes between graphs) in order to provide optimised graph types.

Being able to switch between Greyscale and Colour modes for any given node without messy conversion graph strings, or to integrate such functionality in a graph should be an automatic and painless process inside Substance Designer.

11 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Export Displaced Mesh

It'd be great to have an option to export the displaced mesh exactly the way it looks in the 3D viewport (or with translation for iRay view as those always differ).

Use Cases: A quicker path to a 3D print.
    Especially when you're designing real world materials it would be great to have a tangible example when getting a render signed off on. Or just to quickly create prop pieces or stamping tools for specialty costumers.

Substance Designer Path:
    1. Mesh goes into Substance Designer
    2. Deformation is dialled in
    3. Export to OBJ

Traditional Path:
    1. Export Height Map …

10 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 10 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Import/link and export Image Sequence

It would be great to have the option to load image (udim) sequence into Substance Designer and be able to export a bitmap sequence from one Output node.

For those who sometimes like to use Substance Designer as an image editor rather than just a material maker.

I would happily give up on nuke or other compositing programs If I could apply all the fantastic functions in Substance Designer onto my texture image sequence at once.

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Simple math in numerical parameter fields

Designer could greatly benefit from allowing numerical parameter fields to be subject to simple math manipulation.

i.e. If someone wanted to change Perlin Noise 'Scale' from default 32 to some multiple, they could just type 32 * 4 and hit Enter instead of having to mentally calculate the answer and type 128.

Other applications have this feature such as Cinema 4D and Houdini. It allows the user to maintain their speed while working without being slowed down by simple math.

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Better light and rendering tools

The lights in Substance Designer are very poor. You can only activate two, and you can only move one light (never the other, which is stuck in place even if you activate it). The one light you can move is very awkward and difficult to move already.

I would like to have rendering tools built into Substance Designer that are absolutely worthy of being in the best material authoring software. movable, rotatable spotlights and point lights, among other things, would be very convenient and professional. 

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Errode node

If there is one I haven't found it, but a node that lets you errode an edge (shrink/extend) would be super usefull.

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Copy stamping

For you Houdini users out there I'm sure you've missed copy stamping in SD.
    What this allows you to do is to make variations on each copy when using tiling/scattering nodes by referring to a value in a node up the chain.
    You could for example randomize a different warp strength for each copy, within limits set by you. Or use a different shape in the "shape" node for each copy. Very powerful.

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Drag and create new node like in Unreal Engine 4

I just worked a lot with UE4 blueprints and recently back to SD and noticed that to add nodes is not really handy. So maybe you could add a similar system like in ue4. For instance when you click and drag the circle to add a new node po previous and then just type the name of the node you need and it will automatically connect it to the previous node. It's simple but very handy. You no need to connect nodes by hand

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Quickly filter parameters to find them faster

Quickly filter parameters to find them faster.
    This is something I got used to in UE4 and I wish we could do that in SD too.

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. A bridge to work seamlessly between substance pack

Like that of Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects
    or Davinci Resolve and Fusion

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Savable layouts

It would be awesome to have the ability to move panels the way you want them and save that as a custom layout. Then have a couple different layouts for different situations, like creating fx maps where you don't really need the 3d view, etc...

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. photoshop node

the weakest part of substance designer is its connection to photoshop.

a way to adress that issue would be to create a node that reads a photoshop file and creates an output from each photoshop layer, non-destructively. if the layer has a mask, why not offer a second mask output.

atm, if you edit a layer in photoshop, the ouput of the linked photoshop file gets updated as well. but if you i.e. add another layer in photoshop, this is beeing ignored.
    would be great, if that "photoshop node" would simply get another output added in such a case, named…

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Bevel edge material

Coming from archviz I found very useful the option on a material to bevel hard edges without going through the high/low poly baking process like in vray
    http://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/VRAY3MAYA/Round+Edges

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Right click to reset Individual Values to their default

For Example: I want to set my levels values via the sliders. I test out the white value and move the slider in the histogram. I hate the value I chose, and want to reset that value to default. Instead of going into the values tab and setting them to 0, I would like to be able to just right click the slider and have it auto-snap to it's default.

This UX functionalilty can be extended to any slider or number input for quick iteration.

3dsmax allows this on all value entries by right click on the small up and…

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. make better color pickers

its a frustrating extra couple of clicks to open the full color picker, and the color picker in the attributes tab is a bit useless, only being hue and brightness - we often want shades of gray.

the detailed color picker is also not great, and requires a poke before the hue slider loads its graphic.

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

backlog  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Gradient Map

More variations of interpolations for gradients. Like those found inside cineam4d's gradient shader

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Place Panorama Shapes by clicking on a surface in the 3D view.

It would be nice to be able to place the center of a Panorama Shape by clicking on a surface in the 3D view via bouncing raycast.

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

backlog (low priority)  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Substance Designer

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base