Substance Designer

Some guidelines before posting:
- This place is dedicated to feature requests and/new ideas suggestions. It is not made for bug reports (you can use the forum or the bug reporters for this).
- Before to create a new ticket, make sure your idea hadn’t been suggested before (if so it’s better to upvote it)
- 1 post = 1 idea

Thanks

1. Copy nodes between versions of Designer

please make a way to open new substances in the old as preview or copy nodes especially if there are no new nodes. I currently am using both 5.6 and 6 and it is a nightmare

6 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Substance by Adobe
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Substance Graph as input to Splatter

In addition to choosing a Pattern in Shape Splatter, it would be amazing if you could choose a substance graph to Splatter.
    Exposed parameters on the substance graph could generate a Map pin on the splatter node, and 3 sliders: Amount, Random and Map multiplier.

This would be an incredible way to get far more randomness out of splatter

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Better Ghost Nodes

Ghost nodes are my worst enemy. They do a decent job of showing us where the original node was and how it was connected, but not much else. I'm not sure if this is possible, because it depends on what data is stored inside of each module/file. But here goes anyway..

It would be extremely useful if it were possible to see what variables were exposed for a Ghost node - to see how it was wired in. The easiest way to pull this off (again, if it is possible) would be to leave it alone - just leave the…

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. draped sphere scene for fabric dev

Would it be possible to add another scene in Designer similar to the draped sphere that you have in Substance Source for fabric? It would be very helpful when developing materials for soft surfaces like fabric. Thank you!!!

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Node based baker & Profiled baker

Node-based baker:
    if I can make a graph that is going to control how my mesh is baked. I can use it for all my meshes with personalized control over all the baking parameters. So I plug in the lowpoly, I plug in the highpoly. I choose to bake these textures with these settings. And I can add another output or parameter on the fly to further improve the automation of the work. When I go to my next mesh, use same setting, but all maps are downsized to 512x512. Off we go.

Profiled Baker
    if I have one setting…

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Value Processor: Get size of input images

A simple node where you select the input image from a dropdown (like in the sampler nodes) and get the size as a float2 vector. A toggle to get the size as log2 would be nice, too.

Only $size of the current node is available in Get Float2.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Shadows in 3D viewport

It would be great to have Open GL shadow rendering in viewport, same as substance painter/alchemist have. It gives us better representation of material than without it. It is cumbersome to switch between Open GL and Iray just to get better idea of shapes you are working on.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Allow 3D, 2D view, & graph editor to zoom horizontal

Similar to other 3D packages like Maya and C4D, navigating the viewport with zoom can be done by holding Alt and right click dragging horizontally or vertically. Dragging up and right = zoom in. Down and left = zoom out. Designer only has up and down.

Adding horizontal zooming makes moving between software less jarring, especially for new Designer users.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Pen Tool for making curves

A simple pen tool for making curved lines that can have thickness adjustment. this would be instead of using a ton of warp nodes

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Ability to retrieve graph input parameters from package functions

Graph input parameters currently cannot be retrieved from within package functions (leads to "variable not found" error) even though at runtime, the variable would be resolved if the function was called within the proper graph. Also, there is no way to make global functions part of a graph (which would probably solve the problem), functions can only be at the package root or associated to an input parameter. This makes things inconvenient as some init code using graph input parameters cannot be made into function, hence need to be repeated in every location needing them (i.e. when duplicating an fx-map…

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Export at higher resolution

I like working at 2048 for speed and efficiency on my fairly powerful computer. It would be nice to have an export at 4096 option, instead of having to manually upres the entire graph before exporting.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Clone a node

Add the ability to clone a node, like you can do in e.g. Nuke. From Nuke's documentation:

"You can clone nodes in preparation for pasting them elsewhere in a script. Cloned nodes inherit the values of their parent, but unlike copied nodes, they also maintain an active link with their parents’ values. If you alter the values of one, the other automatically inherits these changes.

Clones are helpful for maintaining consistent setups across multiple elements. For example, you might use clones to apply an identical film grain setup to a series of elements shot on the same stock. Should you…

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Easier to see nodes that use custom parameters

Would it be possible to make the nodes using custom parameters more clearly visible when using the Using Custom Parameter search function of the Node Lookup Tool.

At the moment they're rendered as normal with the others being dimmed. This works if there aren't that many nodes in a graph, but when the graph is fairly complex these can be difficult to see. Something like a yellow border around the highlighted node might help greatly in quickly locating them.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

backlog  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. SVG node: fill gradients

Substance Designer

SVG could be used for more than just flat shape masks.

Several Substance Designer tutorials appear to be a long series of steps in which people painstakingly create shapes in SD with gradients that could be achieved in seconds in a vector program and imported as an SVG, if the SVG node handled gradients.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. grabdoc 3d view depth buffer (like zbrush) for create alpha shape

grabdoc 3d view depth buffer (like zbrush) for create alpha shape

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Dependency Manager improvements

Substance Designer has a dependency manager for keeping track of referenced graphs and other files. However, it's fairly limited in terms of what you can actually do with it. There are many cases where a reference to a package or graph within the package was broken in some way and needed to be fixed but there are not many options to do so.

For example, let's say I took a graph from one package file with many graphs within it and placed it it's own package instead. What I'd like to do is point to the graph in the new…

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Bake alternate UV data to additional texture maps

Being able to bake additional UV channels into a texture that can be used to generate flow maps, uv texture maps and other methods of distorting a texture to fit a UV map of a mesh. For a detailed description of a different use of this, read: http://www.valvesoftware.com/publications/2011/gdc2011grimesnonstandardtextures.pdf

They go into the shader side implementation of these ideas, but some do apply to Substance rendering too. It has similarities to Tri-Planar shading, where other data is used to map textures to a mesh.

Thanks!

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Work on isolated object like screws/bolts and then move/place them on the main texture

Currently its like working on the whole map isolating the rest of the areas using mask. I would like to create a small object like screws regardless of position, the final output can then use to move transform to place it wherever needed.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

need more info  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. OpengCL and AMD Pro Render support

Substance has support for NVidia gfx ards and also IRay. Substance should support OpenCL and Implements Pro Render so AMD gfx users can use their gpu compute power with Painter and Designer.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Save UI interface option

It would be very useful to be able to save your interface layouts. I move around my screens quite often depending on what I am doing and to rearrange my UI constantly is a pain.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Substance Painter  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Substance Designer

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base