Substance Designer

Some guidelines before posting:
- This place is dedicated to feature requests and/new ideas suggestions. It is not made for bug reports (you can use the forum or the bug reporters for this).
- Before to create a new ticket, make sure your idea hadn’t been suggested before (if so it’s better to upvote it)
- 1 post = 1 idea

Thanks

1. Null and Texture Merge Nodes

For Substance Designer I think it great if there was as system like the objectMerge and null nodes in Houdini where you could output parts of your graph to null nodes and then use the 'objectMerge' style node to retrieve data from those without having to physically connect the node. Think this would be a great way to get of messy graphs connections and overall add less clutter. There could even be an option to see these connections but as dotted lines or something when using the highlight flow display.

3 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Substance by Adobe
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. tiling in two directions independently in materials/edit

so we could test non square textures on default cube object without necessity to load custom geometry every time

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. String operators as function nodes

The use of strings in function nodes is currently very limited as is even stated in the docs: https://docs.substance3d.com/sddoc/constant-nodes-142770194.html
    "It's main goal is to function as a final output for the Text Node."

What I find myself needing are:
    - String input values (as node in substance graph, and input value to node)
    - Cast to string for integers and float
    - Concatenating strings (+ operator)
    - length of string

nice to have:
    - multiplikation (concatenate same string x times, if x < 1: trim string)

setting a string variable with the sequence node also doesn't seem to work.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. custom shortcuts Substance designer

i would like to have the option for custom shortcuts for the Nodes in Designer it would be faster to work with. Most of the time you are using the same nodes over and over again. For example setting the B Key for the Blendnode and so on would speed up everything.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Instant typing focus

Something that would really speed up workflow is immediate typing focus when selecting (clicking) nodes that have a single type-in control (especially function nodes, like constant values).

In addition to selecting, it should also happen immediately after creating these nodes. But I think newly created nodes are selected immediately anyway.

The only issue I can see this causing is interference with hot-keys while such a node is selected. But as long as hotkeys are typical (eg, ctrl + key), it shouldn't be a problem. No different than trying to use a hotkey immediately after typing something into a typical control.…

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Frame/Comment shortcuts?

Recently I needed to update my old sbs files where there were a lot of nasty nodes. So I reorganized all structures with using of frames and comments inside. After 10 minutes of making stupide clicks I came to the conclusion that it would be much faster to do everything with shortcuts such as this done in unreal engine 4. For example, the comment is button is "C", frame is "F"? It is not clear why no one asked for such a simple function.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Link Node

I think there would be a huge benefit in having a node that links to other software, specifically ZBrush and Painter.

For ZBrush, the node would connect to a ZBrush session and allow for users to generate height information from the session. It can also send Designer's height data to allow for sculpting within ZBrush. This would be great for easily going back and forth between the program, while organizing the sessions for their various purposes like establishing the base forms, modifying shapes, or final touchups at the very end. I see many studios (Sony Santa Monica and Blizzard, as…

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. A corner tag to make it easy to resize frames. Rather than mousing over the corner and missing.

A corner tag to make it easy to resize frames. Rather than mousing over the corner and missing

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Transfer Textures Form UDIM meshes

If you have for example VFX mesh with 10 UDIMs it's quite tricky to transfer textures to real time mesh that has only one UDIM. It would be amazing it texture transfer baker would support texture loading per uv tile or material. By doing so it would be possible to make low poly, low cost mesh from high end one.
    And don't get me wrong I am thinking of plane simple baking here. Like you transfer height details to normal map you could transfer same just from the texture of "high poly" (UDIM mesh) to a non udim one.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Drop in node with spacebar "search" feature adjustment

Currently, when you use spacebar search feature to add a new node into your graph while having an input/output connecting line selected, it adds the node at the half way point of the selected connection line. It would be nice if it added it relative to your mouse cursor instead. Sometimes your graphs become so large that you have to zoom the graph view out and then back in pretty far to select the node you just added and then drag it into the position you originally wanted.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Move the Normal Map Baker to the top of the list

In a few of the other Baker types (Ambient Occlusion, ect) there's an option for designating a Previous Baker for the normal map detail slot. This functions based on the order/stack of your Bakers, so if you were to pick your bakers alphabetically like the list is set presently, you'll never see your Normal Map baker listed. Once you know how the system works, this isn't a big issue. However from a first-time-user-perspective, its a feature that may go unused with the way its currently presented.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Bake Range for UDIM

It would be cool to have the ability to set an exact range of UDIMs to bake maps for. At the moment it is either bake All maps, or bake one specific UDIM. I was thinking about a custom range field where you could enter comma and dash separated ranges of UDIMs to bake. When I have assets with about 100 or more UDIMs and I want to rebake only a portion of it, the current limitations are annoying.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. 3dsmax 2019 OSL Support Substances like Unreal

Now 3dsmax 2019 has OSL support. OSL can possibly be used to support more advanced features of substances than currently are with the 3dsmax intergration? For example curvature maps that are build in an OSL shader could detect edges or have build in dirt AO maps.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Add 3D View shader parameters to prerefences

Please add these settings to preferences. Having to change the shader parameters back to my preferred settings ie, OpenGL etc each time I swap shaders in the 3D View is annoying.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

started  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. PBR Render node: add more models (at least a cube)

The PBR Render node is getting more features and it's incredibly useful to get good renders easily, but it still has a lot of shortcomings.

Aside from sphere and plane, there are no options for other models.

A cube (rounded or not) would cover a lot of scenarios.

(it would also be nice to get a cleaner image - right now there are a lot of artifacts caused by reflections I suppose)

(it would also be nice to have a mask of the DOF to be used for image editing - ie adding clarity)

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. image following a curve path

Substance Designer does not have the function of image following a curve path, these functions are often used, but Substance Designer does not have these functions

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Random Position on Both Axis (Tile Sampler)

Could we have a random position slider for both X and Y on each tile sampler?

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Colour code exposed variable

In Substance designer would be cool if you can colour code exposed variables to easily see where they belong.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. 150% UI scaling support

Running both Designer and Painter on a 4K 27" display isn't a great experience. The UI scaling choices are either 100%, which is super tiny, or 200%, which is too big. Could support for arbitrary scaling be added please? Ideally Designer/Painter/Alchemist would match whatever scaling Windows is set to. Photoshop does this, and it works really nicely.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Multi GPU Support

Add Support for export using multiple GPU at once in substance designer.

So far substance designer does not benefit from Multiple GPUs. this is extremely important for any work that require to batch bake and batch export a lot of textures, complex textures, UDIMs and so on.

Since Designer is extremely GPU expensive in the export phase it might be helpfull to have this feature, both in designer and in the automation toolkit

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Substance Designer

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base