Substance Designer

Some guidelines before posting:
- This place is dedicated to feature requests and/new ideas suggestions. It is not made for bug reports (you can use the forum or the bug reporters for this).
- Before to create a new ticket, make sure your idea hadn’t been suggested before (if so it’s better to upvote it)
- 1 post = 1 idea

Thanks

1. Add Ability to Create Arrays and Dictionaries in the Function Graphs

Currently, it is difficult to store information and get information that would normally get stored in an array or dictionary. I have created a tool that places objects along a bezier curve, and it would have made the creation easier if I could have stored the pascal triangle in a dictionary, finding the correct array of integers per number of bezier points.

Thanks!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Modulate Parameters on per Pixel Basis

As is, only very few, specified things work on a per pixel basis. I think being able to modulate any given parameter on a per pixel basis would give a huge amount of freedom, which is needed to create more complex materials.

For instance, the position random in the shape splatter can only be applied uniformly over the whole texture space. But if you want to have a gradient control the amount of position random, you can't do it.

I see substance designer as a texture synthesizer, and as much you need time based modulation in an audio synthsizer, you…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3. [ui / ux] Colored backgrounds for parameters (or parameter groups)

When a node has many parameters you always end up spending a lot of time searching for the ones you need. Groups help, but you still have to read their names again and again

Photoshop has a similar issue when you have a lot of layers. Their use of custom layer background colors makes it so much easier to find stuff at a glance.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Option to make "tessellation" default for Shaders

Every time Designer is opened, the shader definition (for the physically-shaders) is set back to "Parallax Occlusion." To display height map displacement in the 3D-View, the definition has to be changed to "Tessellation" manually every time and change the height scale from default 0, which is very annoying and time consuming because of all the nested menues. As for most substances you work on the height map for a very long time, there should be an option to not only choose which shader to start with, but also which shader definition (and ideally which heigh scale).

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. exposable gradient map node

and connectable node inputs so it could take colors from some node graph .

Would be nice to use gradient map instead of gazillion of separate sliders with exposing it to other graphs

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. navigation

Navigation is different in Substance Painter to Substance Designer. Can I suggest you make them the same, as I find it extremely frustrating when switching between the programmes?

I use a tablet and a 3D SpaceMouse, so I have no middle mouse button. Ultimately I'd like you to support 3DConnexion's Spacemouse.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Math expression evaluation in Functions and Pixel Processors

When writing functions, or pixel processors.

It becomes rather cumbersome, hard to read, very prone to human error and pretty much breaks your flow when you have some mathematical expression and then need to break it apart into nodes.

Being able to outright write simple expressions would be incredibly beneficial (in a similar form to Nuke or Houdini).

I.e:

sqrt(x*x + y*y) + min(x, y)/max(x, y)

Bonus points for a ternary operator:
    (x < 1) ? (1 - x) : 0

Even if it was just limited to taking in explicit floats, and outputting a single float, that would be…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Output node has output pin

a useful organizational feature i would personally like to see is that the output node has an outgoing pin to keep graphs clean and a bit easier to work with. i use designer more for game effects textures than pbr materials. i usually use outputs mid graph but continue to edit that chain further for a different effect. it would be nice to not have an off shoot node for every time i need something in the chain. a dot note deoes not really help much in this case either just more clutter

it feels like a really simple change…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Make all basic nodes adding a new pair of input/ouptput with a slider

Without exposing parameters ,creating subgraphs etc.
    Simply adding new in/out for making same operation to another input.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Make height default primary input in material nodes

Base material have normal primary, other diffuse one . In metallic workflow diffuse in unused and empty thus scale is not transferred properly.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Graph view option: Zooming in around mouse cursor, out around the view center

Hello, new Steam user here! :)

I want to propose a mechanism that exists in the games Supreme Commander and Planetary Annihilation:
    Oftentimes, zooming is implemented around the cursor for both zooming in and zooming out.
    From the games, I am very familiar with zooming in centered on the mouse cursor and zooming out centered on the center of the whole viewport. At first it seems counter-intuitive to use two different pivots like that, but it really contributes to a more pleasant navigation.
    Normally you want to zoom in to a detail in the view, and zoom out overall to…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Substance Painter  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Suppress update reports

Could an option be added to Designer to automatically suppress update reports? We've all seen these pop up when a scene is either from a previous version or references older nodes. I'm sure some like to see this pop up, which completely blocks Designer from doing anything until its dismissed, but personally I'd be happy to never see it again.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Gradient Editor

Add ability to set color(grayscale value) of selected pin(s) by picking it from the screen.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. It would be helpful if split is included in tile generator and split can be influenced by greyscale input map

It would be helpful if split is included in tile generator and split can be influenced by greyscale input map

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. be able to create input nodes for Node Parameters

What would be useful is to be able to create input nodes for all possible inputs with either a color or greyscale(which ever applies) input from the parameter function drop down

For example i have multiple cells 4 where i want to keep the same seed and scale and disorder and have other ones different, like the color source different i also don't want to make a whole bunch of parameters for for every node that i want to keep consistent, also exposing everything isnt desirable if im exporting for something like say painter, and a massive list is there.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. More blending modes for FX-Map

Hi!
    I think that adding more blending options for quadrant node would be ultra cool. Min mode is essential for some kind of stuff like carving stones or etc.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Bevel mode that simultneously rounds concave/convex corners

Currently the 'rounded' option in the bevel node only produces rounded bevels in some circumstances. If the bevel is positive, convex corners will be rounded, but not concave. If the bevel is negative, Concave corners will be rounded, but not convex.

I think it would be better if this mode rounded both concave and convex corners regardless of negative or positive bevel, or if there were a third option for this behavior.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Add aSDProperty.visibleIf() to Designer API

I would like to check the return value of the visible if expression on a given property.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Bookmark frame

Would be cool that whenever you create a pin it automatically create a bookmark that you can snap to back to remind yourself. Like if you left a note to come back to this you can snap back a lot faster. Maybe using Ctrl + 1 would create bookmark 1 and you can enter this by pressing num pad 1. I know 1/2/3 is linked to link creation mode but would be handy to remind yourself and not get lost in your own work.
    This applied to mainly Substance Designer.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Add a Derive-Z node

Like many game engine tools, it would be good if I could feed X and Y normal maps into designer and plug them into a node to create an XYZ normal map to use in Designer.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Substance Designer

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base