Substance Designer

Some guidelines before posting:
- This place is dedicated to feature requests and/new ideas suggestions. It is not made for bug reports (you can use the forum or the bug reporters for this).
- Before to create a new ticket, make sure your idea hadn’t been suggested before (if so it’s better to upvote it)
- 1 post = 1 idea

Thanks

1. Quick shift preview for previous computed/cached renders

The aim of this option is to eliminate the need to re-render the whole material when you just want to compare two settings and going back and forth.

It would work like a clipboard for the material previewer
    Everytime you "record/save" a computed material you could put all the textures that goes with it into a first entry.

Then you would capture/save a second set of baked textures that have been changed after some tweakings.

And then, quickly visualise the two materials in the texture & 3D view by just alternating the two sets of textures instead of waiting for…

1 vote
    Sign in Sign in with Substance by Adobe
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Sample nodes with image input?

If possible, we need a sampler function node that accepts an integer used to select the image to sample from.

If this is not possible, we need some type of setup change that allows us to create generic sampling functions that sample pixels from images, without those image indices being hard-coded into the functions.

Currently, the only way to do this is some type of switch selector that samples from several images and returns the one desired. And in the pixel processor, this is a problem, because all code ends up getting executed for each and every sample. This means…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Replacing a node in the graph by drag and drop

It would be nice to be able to drag a node from the library on top of an existing node in the graph and replace the node including all of its current connections. Not sure if there's a way to do this now.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Autosave location override option

The purpose of autosaving is to prevent data loss from crashes, or possibly human error. This means that after we finish a material, the autosave data is pretty much useless (to some of us at least).

These files are cluttering up the substance directories. And its especially messy to those of us who categorize our materials into detailed sub-directories. In order to remove this clutter, we have to browse through every sub-directory that we've ever saved a material to and delete the ".autosave" folders.

We need an option to override the autosave location. The ability to auto-save to a single…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Option to Default Graph Format to 16-Bit

Using 8 bit gray values in programs like Painter results in very low quality materials. I always use 16-bit ALL of my materials. But I often forget to set the graph format before I publish, which means some of my filters are most likely making some aspect of my materials look bad without my noticing.

I was even told by a member of your staff to always use 16 bit for gray values.

Anyway, it would benefit me greatly to have Designer default to 16-bit. And options to allow us to select these types of defaults makes a lot of…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Simultaneous Grayscale and Color Support (automatic switch)

We should have the ability to create a single node that can support both grayscale and color, rather than needing to add "gray" vs "color" suffix or prefix onto each node that can support both.

This would be a simple internal detection process, and doesn't really require any advanced changes. We would still need to write both versions of our nodes, but with the difference that Designer would automatically employ whichever one is currently plugged in.

One method that would allow us to use a single graph would be a checkbox on input and output nodes that specify they are…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Auto typing focus on const value type-in

When a const value node is added to a function-style graph, the typing focus should be automatically set on that node's value type-in control.

The only specific situation where this would not improve the situation would be when the user wants a zero. In which case, they would just hit enter an extra time.

So to add a new const float value of 1.3..
    With this feature: tab, f, enter, 1.3, enter
    Without it: tab, f, enter, move mouse over to properties pane, click type-in control, 1.3, enter.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Allow changing "Get" node type without deleting and re-adding

While writing functions, and especially when copying and modifying a function to work with a different type, we have to delete all of the "get" nodes and re-add them with the same parameter name but with a new type. It would be very convenient to have the ability to simply change the get node's parameter type without removing it.

Or even better, have Designer automatically change all get nodes that are associated with a parameter when we change the type of that parameter. Maybe I should have made this the primary request.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Type Independent Functions

Allow us to write function nodes that accept any type for their inputs. Since function nodes are inlined anyway, it makes a lot of sense to give us this freedom, if its possible.

For example, we should only need to write one function to generate an average. Not one for ints, one for floats, one for vector 2, vector 3, etc.

On the implementation side, it could be as simple as adding a new type to the function parameter drop down called "any". Then just assign whatever type that gets plugged in as the parameter's official type.

Return values will…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Easier SVG Rotation

Dragging the mouse anywhere outside of the SVG rectangle should activate rotation mode, instead of having to hover really close to points that are near the edge.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Dynamic Graph Variables

Requesting the ability for nodes to be capable of permanently changing a graph variable so that the next node that reads the same variable sees those changes. These variables would likely reset to their "default" values when the graph starts.

If this is something that would cost in performance, maybe a toggle that converts a standard graph variable into a dynamic one.

A big plus would be communication between graphs. For example, if we expose a dynamic variable of a sub-graph, we can control its starting value and read its final value after it exits.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Automatic parameter preset marking

Currently, we have to mark those little pins next to each exposed parameter to record it as part of a preset. But I've also noticed that Designer marks parameters whose value has changed from its default. Doesn't it make sense to use this as part of the recording process? When a user switches into preview mode with the intention of creating a preset, they have very little reason to change any values, other than to make those values part of that preset. So why not record all values that are not set to their defaults? This would make the entire…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Output nodes "usage" section should be more consistent with the 3D preview

I export my textures packed with each channel representing one material properties. It is possible to describe these "usages" in the Output node but the 3d viewer doesn't respect them and only seem to accept a usage that is set to RGBA components.
    I'd like the viewer to be able to gather its inputs from my Output nodes usage, even for textures that affect several material properties.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Compilable FX map

On FxMap-Quadrant node, there is a option named Pattern Varient. However, we don't use this most of the time, because it only works with very specific pattern in Quardrant-Pattern parameter.

So, here is my suggestion.

1. At very beginning of FX graph building, we should choose a node on its properties view.

2. The node must not have any input nodes, and have only one output node.

3. If complie is available, complie the Fx map node on Substance Designer.

4. After the complie, we can use every parameter of the node that we chose at step 1 in Quadrant node instead of Pattern…
    1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Emphasized Frame View

It can be difficult to read frame notes when opening a new graph with all of the node connection lines going everywhere. In addition small frames are quite easy to miss through the node spaghetti. Possibly, with the press and hold of a hotkey, everything but the frames could be 'dimmed' so the frames might be easier to spot and read.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Instanced Noise Nodes

Implement something similar to a docked node (possibly greyed out, or with another appropriate symbol) that is an 'instanced' copy of a noise from somewhere else in the graph. Would help to reduce node spaghetti from reusing noises for optimization which get all over the place. If you change a parameter in one of the instanced noise, like scale, disorder, whatever, then it would update all of the instanced noises that are tied together in this way. Hope that makes sense!

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Mac Magic Mouse

On the Mac, when using the apple mouse to manipulate the Graph view, it is easy to accidentally zoom the Graph view, which is very distressing! ! !
    Is it possible to disable this operation or reduce the sensitivity~

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Bitmap painting on both 2D and 3D view in Substance Designer

Substance Designer: The idea is about being able to paint both ways when using a bitmap node using the same brush selected in the bitmap node. This way detail placement would not be tied to procedural placement (triplanar projection) across UV shells anymore, allowing a better detailing workflow. Painter and a layer based workflow is not my thing, I'm a node-type of person and this feature would speed up the workflow a lot.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Colors Frames for Input Tewaks

Hello! When there are a lot of parameters, it is difficult to visually distinguish which group it belongs to. I would like to divide by color groups of parameters.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Tile Generator node

When you input a custom pattern into a Tile Generator it should automatically use that pattern instead of you having to change it in the settings after cr4eating a pattern

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Substance Designer

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base