Substance Designer

Some guidelines before posting:
- This place is dedicated to feature requests and/new ideas suggestions. It is not made for bug reports (you can use the forum or the bug reporters for this).
- Before to create a new ticket, make sure your idea hadn’t been suggested before (if so it’s better to upvote it)
- 1 post = 1 idea

Thanks

1. exposable gradient map node

and connectable node inputs so it could take colors from some node graph .

Would be nice to use gradient map instead of gazillion of separate sliders with exposing it to other graphs

1 vote
    Sign in Sign in with Substance by Adobe
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Highlight the node that contains the exposed parameter selected

When working with a complex graph, with many parameters exposed, it would be helpful to be able to track the corresponding node of each parameter by highlighting it when the parameter is selected from the list (clicking on te drop down button of the parameter). It would make it easier to go back and alter the corresponding function if it doesn't work as desired

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. navigation

Navigation is different in Substance Painter to Substance Designer. Can I suggest you make them the same, as I find it extremely frustrating when switching between the programmes?

I use a tablet and a 3D SpaceMouse, so I have no middle mouse button. Ultimately I'd like you to support 3DConnexion's Spacemouse.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. cryptomatte to masks

Would be nice if SD courd read cryptomatte exrs and produce accurate masks from it.

Current colorID way is so outdated .

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. String operators as function nodes

The use of strings in function nodes is currently very limited as is even stated in the docs: https://docs.substance3d.com/sddoc/constant-nodes-142770194.html
    "It's main goal is to function as a final output for the Text Node."

What I find myself needing are:
    - String input values (as node in substance graph, and input value to node)
    - Cast to string for integers and float
    - Concatenating strings (+ operator)
    - length of string

nice to have:
    - multiplikation (concatenate same string x times, if x < 1: trim string)

setting a string variable with the sequence node also doesn't seem to work.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Simple math in numerical parameter fields

Designer could greatly benefit from allowing numerical parameter fields to be subject to simple math manipulation.

i.e. If someone wanted to change Perlin Noise 'Scale' from default 32 to some multiple, they could just type 32 * 4 and hit Enter instead of having to mentally calculate the answer and type 128.

Other applications have this feature such as Cinema 4D and Houdini. It allows the user to maintain their speed while working without being slowed down by simple math.

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Math expression evaluation in Functions and Pixel Processors

When writing functions, or pixel processors.

It becomes rather cumbersome, hard to read, very prone to human error and pretty much breaks your flow when you have some mathematical expression and then need to break it apart into nodes.

Being able to outright write simple expressions would be incredibly beneficial (in a similar form to Nuke or Houdini).

I.e:

sqrt(x*x + y*y) + min(x, y)/max(x, y)

Bonus points for a ternary operator:
    (x < 1) ? (1 - x) : 0

Even if it was just limited to taking in explicit floats, and outputting a single float, that would be…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Output node has output pin

a useful organizational feature i would personally like to see is that the output node has an outgoing pin to keep graphs clean and a bit easier to work with. i use designer more for game effects textures than pbr materials. i usually use outputs mid graph but continue to edit that chain further for a different effect. it would be nice to not have an off shoot node for every time i need something in the chain. a dot note deoes not really help much in this case either just more clutter

it feels like a really simple change…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Gradient Editor

Add ability to set color(grayscale value) of selected pin(s) by picking it from the screen.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Make all basic nodes adding a new pair of input/ouptput with a slider

Without exposing parameters ,creating subgraphs etc.
    Simply adding new in/out for making same operation to another input.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Make height default primary input in material nodes

Base material have normal primary, other diffuse one . In metallic workflow diffuse in unused and empty thus scale is not transferred properly.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Graph view option: Zooming in around mouse cursor, out around the view center

Hello, new Steam user here! :)

I want to propose a mechanism that exists in the games Supreme Commander and Planetary Annihilation:
    Oftentimes, zooming is implemented around the cursor for both zooming in and zooming out.
    From the games, I am very familiar with zooming in centered on the mouse cursor and zooming out centered on the center of the whole viewport. At first it seems counter-intuitive to use two different pivots like that, but it really contributes to a more pleasant navigation.
    Normally you want to zoom in to a detail in the view, and zoom out overall to…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Substance Painter  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Suppress update reports

Could an option be added to Designer to automatically suppress update reports? We've all seen these pop up when a scene is either from a previous version or references older nodes. I'm sure some like to see this pop up, which completely blocks Designer from doing anything until its dismissed, but personally I'd be happy to never see it again.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Shadows in 3D viewport

It would be great to have Open GL shadow rendering in viewport, same as substance painter/alchemist have. It gives us better representation of material than without it. It is cumbersome to switch between Open GL and Iray just to get better idea of shapes you are working on.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. custom shortcuts Substance designer

i would like to have the option for custom shortcuts for the Nodes in Designer it would be faster to work with. Most of the time you are using the same nodes over and over again. For example setting the B Key for the Blendnode and so on would speed up everything.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Allow 3D, 2D view, & graph editor to zoom horizontal

Similar to other 3D packages like Maya and C4D, navigating the viewport with zoom can be done by holding Alt and right click dragging horizontally or vertically. Dragging up and right = zoom in. Down and left = zoom out. Designer only has up and down.

Adding horizontal zooming makes moving between software less jarring, especially for new Designer users.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. It would be helpful if split is included in tile generator and split can be influenced by greyscale input map

It would be helpful if split is included in tile generator and split can be influenced by greyscale input map

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Multi Colored Node links based of frame colour

If you create a frame around a few nodes and give it a color, whatever node come out of that frame, the grayscale links will inherit that color. So if you make your frame red, the links are also red. This would really help possibly make the spaghetti a lot easier to read. This would be a huge boost to readability with the new magnet feature you added recently.
    This applied to mainly Substance Designer.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. prorender

Use AMD Pro Render instead of iray for pathtracing. Pro Render supports both Nvidia and AMD cards as well as great support for Mac using Metal2 backend.

22 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Pen Tool for making curves

A simple pen tool for making curved lines that can have thickness adjustment. this would be instead of using a ton of warp nodes

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Substance Designer

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base