Substance Designer

Some guidelines before posting:
- This place is dedicated to feature requests and/new ideas suggestions. It is not made for bug reports (you can use the forum or the bug reporters for this).
- Before to create a new ticket, make sure your idea hadn’t been suggested before (if so it’s better to upvote it)
- 1 post = 1 idea

Thanks

1. Export with presets like Painter

There is no consistency across export dialogues, Painter has presets for exporting to Unity and other software with the right material conversion (e.g. Metalness maps with smoothness in the alpha channel) - currently these export options are missing from Alchemist and Designer when you want to export to bitmaps or individual textures.

It would be useful to have these export options for when you are exporting simply tiling textures (like for a terrain or large surface in a game engine).

My current workaround is to have a template Unity 5 Substance #Painter# project that I import the archived Designer or…

1 vote
    Sign in Sign in with All Right Reserved
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Expose Parameter as Input Values

Currently we have some exposing options. Use Export parameter window, or manually expose each items .

Since we have value processor, I like to have 'Expose as input values' menu as well as previous expose option.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Allow smaller cloud node scales

I've encountered a number of graphs that use a Transform node after a Clouds (1/2/3) node to "zoom in" the clouds to achieve specific effects. Unfortunately, this creates the side effect of breaking tiling and requires other nodes to try to fix that.

Instead, it would be very helpful if the cloud nodes could have additional lower scales - the default Scale of 1 (and the minimum) is still fairly "medium density" in terms of detail. I'd like to see the same cloud effects, except 2x and 4x "zoomed in". In other words, the equivalent of a Scale 0.5 and…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Instant typing focus

Something that would really speed up workflow is immediate typing focus when selecting (clicking) nodes that have a single type-in control (especially function nodes, like constant values).

In addition to selecting, it should also happen immediately after creating these nodes. But I think newly created nodes are selected immediately anyway.

The only issue I can see this causing is interference with hot-keys while such a node is selected. But as long as hotkeys are typical (eg, ctrl + key), it shouldn't be a problem. No different than trying to use a hotkey immediately after typing something into a typical control.…

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Frame/Comment shortcuts?

Recently I needed to update my old sbs files where there were a lot of nasty nodes. So I reorganized all structures with using of frames and comments inside. After 10 minutes of making stupide clicks I came to the conclusion that it would be much faster to do everything with shortcuts such as this done in unreal engine 4. For example, the comment is button is "C", frame is "F"? It is not clear why no one asked for such a simple function.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Expose Filtering Parameter in Normal Transform

This is a special case, but, the built in Normal Transform node's Transformation 2D node doesn't have it's Filtering parameter exposed. Would be nice to have that as a default, rather than needing to work around it.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Ability to run pixel processor on fx-map pattern

fx-map patterns cannot be processed anymore once they are provided to the fx-map. It would be very useful to be able to process them from inside the fx-map through a pixel processor. Code inside the pixel processor would have access to variables defined in the fx-map. A whole range of applications could be developed if such a feature was possible.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Expose pattern transform matrix in the FX Quadrant node.

You have size, rotation and offset(position) available, but could you also just have the transform matrix itself exposed as a parameter so someone could add image skewing or some matrix math while iterating?

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Change multiple Frame Color parameters simultaneously

It's easier than having to click each frame and change their colors individually all to the same color.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. A node that places copies (of a plugged in element) where I click on a 2d view.

I'm really tired to place small repetitive elements in my sci-fi designs by using 2d transform + blend node many times. It would be so great to have a node in which I can just plug in my element and then just click several times in 2d view to get copies of the element in proper places.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Maintain node graph view when switching node graphs

When switching between between node graphs in the Explorer panel, Designer will forget your last 'view' position in a graph. Returning back to a graph shows that the view has been reset to default, showing all of the nodes in the graph in a zoomed out view. Saving and showing the last view position would allow the user to quickly get back to work on the nodes they were looking at last. This is especially useful when frequently jumping between node graphs in Explorer.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Export Displaced Mesh

It'd be great to have an option to export the displaced mesh exactly the way it looks in the 3D viewport (or with translation for iRay view as those always differ).

Use Cases: A quicker path to a 3D print.
    Especially when you're designing real world materials it would be great to have a tangible example when getting a render signed off on. Or just to quickly create prop pieces or stamping tools for specialty costumers.

Substance Designer Path:
    1. Mesh goes into Substance Designer
    2. Deformation is dialled in
    3. Export to OBJ

Traditional Path:
    1. Export Height Map …

10 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Better light and rendering tools

The lights in Substance Designer are very poor. You can only activate two, and you can only move one light (never the other, which is stuck in place even if you activate it). The one light you can move is very awkward and difficult to move already.

I would like to have rendering tools built into Substance Designer that are absolutely worthy of being in the best material authoring software. movable, rotatable spotlights and point lights, among other things, would be very convenient and professional. 

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Simultaneous Grayscale and Color Support (automatic switch)

We should have the ability to create a single node that can support both grayscale and color, rather than needing to add "gray" vs "color" suffix or prefix onto each node that can support both.

This would be a simple internal detection process, and doesn't really require any advanced changes. We would still need to write both versions of our nodes, but with the difference that Designer would automatically employ whichever one is currently plugged in.

One method that would allow us to use a single graph would be a checkbox on input and output nodes that specify they are…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Output nodes "usage" section should be more consistent with the 3D preview

I export my textures packed with each channel representing one material properties. It is possible to describe these "usages" in the Output node but the 3d viewer doesn't respect them and only seem to accept a usage that is set to RGBA components.
    I'd like the viewer to be able to gather its inputs from my Output nodes usage, even for textures that affect several material properties.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Use fuzzy searching for node list

The current search algorithm seems like a basic substring search. Where your query must contain a single continuous substring of the name you want to match. For example "Flood" will match all the various Flood Fill nodes, but to match a specific node such as "Flood Fill to Position" you have to type "Flood Fill to P".

In many modern software applications a fuzzy searching algorithm is used. Where search results are sorted by the "distance" between two strings where the distance is determined by the number of characters that must be added/deleted/substituted to make a query string match a…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Link Node

I think there would be a huge benefit in having a node that links to other software, specifically ZBrush and Painter.

For ZBrush, the node would connect to a ZBrush session and allow for users to generate height information from the session. It can also send Designer's height data to allow for sculpting within ZBrush. This would be great for easily going back and forth between the program, while organizing the sessions for their various purposes like establishing the base forms, modifying shapes, or final touchups at the very end. I see many studios (Sony Santa Monica and Blizzard, as…

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Quick select variable in node creation

When creating a node, allow one of the variables to be edited before creating it, by pressing tab.
    For example, with the blend node:
    The blending mode is set for quick selecting. This means that if you search for the blend node, you can press tab to select with which blend node you want to add it, this variable is then set on creation.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Attribute randomizer for individual tiles (to avoid replication patterns on large areas)

Hello,
    many tutorials show already how to create an individually designed surface, even with organic realistic themes like for example a meadow with mud and other details.
    But if you use it in substance painter (or any other applicaton) to fill a large area, you can always see the pattern.
    All the realism in detail is nothing worth if you see it from far distance (like a meadow in front of your feet that reaches to the top of a far mountain).
    Because if you try to fill a large area, you need to stagger and replicate. But all your…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Substance Painter  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Export at higher resolution

I like working at 2048 for speed and efficiency on my fairly powerful computer. It would be nice to have an export at 4096 option, instead of having to manually upres the entire graph before exporting.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Substance Designer

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base