Substance Designer

Some guidelines before posting:
- This place is dedicated to feature requests and/new ideas suggestions. It is not made for bug reports (you can use the forum or the bug reporters for this).
- Before to create a new ticket, make sure your idea hadn’t been suggested before (if so it’s better to upvote it)
- 1 post = 1 idea

Thanks

1. 3dsmax 2019 OSL Support Substances like Unreal

Now 3dsmax 2019 has OSL support. OSL can possibly be used to support more advanced features of substances than currently are with the 3dsmax intergration? For example curvature maps that are build in an OSL shader could detect edges or have build in dirt AO maps.

3 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Substance by Adobe
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Transmitter & Receiver Node

A readable graph is an efficient graph.
    However due to the nature of things you almost always have 'send' data to other corners of the graph resulting in spaghettis unless you spend time and effort cleaning the graph flow.

Katana has a nice system of 'Transmitter' and 'Receiver' Nodes.
    Basically you attach a Transmitter Node on one Node and create a 'Receiver' Node in another corner. On the Dropdown Options of the Receiver you can choose any 'Transmitter' in your graph and internally there is a hidden connection created.

Voila. You can share stuff all over the graph without criss-crossing…

46 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. grabdoc 3d view depth buffer (like zbrush) for create alpha shape

grabdoc 3d view depth buffer (like zbrush) for create alpha shape

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Mesh node

Mesh node with following options:
    X axis
    Y axis
    Z axis

By default it gives you a Height map, but you can also apply whatever node you want to the mesh UVs (SVG nodes of PBR maps for example)

33 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Dependency Manager improvements

Substance Designer has a dependency manager for keeping track of referenced graphs and other files. However, it's fairly limited in terms of what you can actually do with it. There are many cases where a reference to a package or graph within the package was broken in some way and needed to be fixed but there are not many options to do so.

For example, let's say I took a graph from one package file with many graphs within it and placed it it's own package instead. What I'd like to do is point to the graph in the new…

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Warp Tool

Warp Tool. In photoshop it's Liquify.

Add a Photoshop "Liquify/Warp tool" node to designer.

See video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGuiSuZAjoM

19 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Add colorspace setting on export

As the simplest of methods, allow the user to choose between sRGB and linear color space when exporting textures. The current convention per channel could stay in as the default but the user should have control to cange it if desired.
    Also, open exr should always be in linear space by default, no matter if the texture is based on a color or greyscale channel. Right now, exporting the diffuse / base color will result in an open exr with sRGB profile. (!)
    Ultimately, something like OCIO implementation would be great.

17 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

backlog  ·  3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. 10 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Savable layouts

It would be awesome to have the ability to move panels the way you want them and save that as a custom layout. Then have a couple different layouts for different situations, like creating fx maps where you don't really need the 3d view, etc...

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Copy stamping

For you Houdini users out there I'm sure you've missed copy stamping in SD.
    What this allows you to do is to make variations on each copy when using tiling/scattering nodes by referring to a value in a node up the chain.
    You could for example randomize a different warp strength for each copy, within limits set by you. Or use a different shape in the "shape" node for each copy. Very powerful.

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Hotkey editor

Hotkey editors are always super important in any application.

I would love to change the hotkey for the spacebar menu to use Tab instead. This would keep it consistent with Nuke, Houdini. Users of those software could feel more "at home" so to speak. even if this was just a preference item, that would be cool.

But a full out hotkey editor would allow us to map hotkeys to the nodes we like to use most often to speed up workflow. Even more so if we want to map hotkeys to items within the 3d view that we might like…

77 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

backlog (low priority)  ·  19 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Debug Node

A Function Node which allows us to print a Debug message in the Console, consisting at least of a custom Message/Description, the Type of the Input and the Value(s).

38 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. photoshop node

the weakest part of substance designer is its connection to photoshop.

a way to adress that issue would be to create a node that reads a photoshop file and creates an output from each photoshop layer, non-destructively. if the layer has a mask, why not offer a second mask output.

atm, if you edit a layer in photoshop, the ouput of the linked photoshop file gets updated as well. but if you i.e. add another layer in photoshop, this is beeing ignored.
    would be great, if that "photoshop node" would simply get another output added in such a case, named…

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Pixel processor, For loop

When using the pixel processor i would like a "For" loop node that loops a number of times based on an int input. Currently i find myself having to nest if statements a lot and a loop would be of great help.

44 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Wang tile algorithm

Add Wang tile algorithm to SD, here example https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wang_tile
    and here how its work with textures http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/55091

15 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Right click to reset Individual Values to their default

For Example: I want to set my levels values via the sliders. I test out the white value and move the slider in the histogram. I hate the value I chose, and want to reset that value to default. Instead of going into the values tab and setting them to 0, I would like to be able to just right click the slider and have it auto-snap to it's default.

This UX functionalilty can be extended to any slider or number input for quick iteration.

3dsmax allows this on all value entries by right click on the small up and…

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Add multiple UV support to SD default shaders.

If I can bake maps on the second UV channel it would also be nice to see them in the 3d viewport. Picking the UV channel for each input map of a shader would be best.

21 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Auto connect nodes when you drag them over wires

Maybe I use Houdini too much, but I find I waist tons of time connecting and reconnecting nodes in SD. Please add a bunch of behaviors for connecting nodes.

1. Drag a node between across a connection wire - have it highlight telling you if you let go it will insert that node between the two and wire it up.

2. Allow you to grab a connection wires toward the connection point, unhook it and plug it in elsewhere.

3. Shake a node to disconnect its connections

72 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. I would really like to see nodes in Substance Designer to help in creating texture atlases.

Currently when I create my substances I have to render the images and make my atlases buy hand. It would be really great if I could create my atlas right in Designer.

What is needed is some way of designing an area on an image to tile as if its the edge of the image so that any noise etc you plug into it would still tile on any quad UV to that area.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks
    Travis

20 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Hotkey for maximise current window view

Similar to when using Maya, something like hit spacebar to maximise that view then spacebar again to go back.

I found myself doing a lot of window resizing when using the program and thought this would be a nice feature to not have to keep re-jigging the layout.

54 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

backlog  ·  4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Substance Designer

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base