Substance Designer

Some guidelines before posting:
- This place is dedicated to feature requests and/new ideas suggestions. It is not made for bug reports (you can use the forum or the bug reporters for this).
- Before to create a new ticket, make sure your idea hadn’t been suggested before (if so it’s better to upvote it)
- 1 post = 1 idea

Thanks

1. Delete Node Only

If I drag in my substance graph, I will get the links and nodes. Then I press Delete key with the selection, every node and link are removed.

Sometimes that make things uncomfortable. What I only want to delete is the nodes, not the links.

2 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Substance by Adobe
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Frame holding comments as well as pins

I'm using comments a lot, and I use Frame as much as those.
    But, when I move the frame, the comments stay at their position.

I have to select every nodes and comments in frame to move them in a time.
    I think that this is a weird thing. There is no advantage to use frame if I want to use comments.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. MDL Export: exporting other than material

Currently, when exporting MDLs, the export is obviously a material data export as it is the most common use of it. The material must be set as 'root' for the export to go through successfully.

But as you know, MDLs are also capable of being used in other contexts such as environment lighting, and also in other contexts that accept their output type.

For example, let's say I'm creating an MDL graph that takes the sunandsky, wrap a few parameters and plug it into the sun_direction. However, to use this in the environment light context, the output must…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Parameters Window compact view

Add an option to have a more compact UI regarding the parameters window, so less scrolling is required thus speeding up the workflow.

See thread for full details: https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,26250.0.html

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Have Frame Titles Size Change with the Zooming In/Out of the Graph

When you zoom out in a graph and it has a bunch of frames with long titles, it turns into an illegible mess. If the titles size changed to match the zooming (gets smaller when zooming out, bigger when zooming in) it would make things a lot more legible.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Quickly filter parameters to find them faster

Quickly filter parameters to find them faster.
    This is something I got used to in UE4 and I wish we could do that in SD too.

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. 1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Drop in node with spacebar "search" feature adjustment

Currently, when you use spacebar search feature to add a new node into your graph while having an input/output connecting line selected, it adds the node at the half way point of the selected connection line. It would be nice if it added it relative to your mouse cursor instead. Sometimes your graphs become so large that you have to zoom the graph view out and then back in pretty far to select the node you just added and then drag it into the position you originally wanted.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Support for vertex colors in obj files

SD does not support vertex colors in obj files. This is not standard, but a common way to support this is described on this wikipedia page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wavefront.objfile

Implementation details are quite simple: "Some applications support vertex colors, by putting red, green and blue values after x y and z. The color values range from 0 to 1."
    Please note this method is supported by ZBrush for polypaint.

Would it be possible to implement this? Knowing FBX is limited in size, SD doesn't support PLY, OBJ might be the last option to enable very high poly meshes bakes in…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. PLY support

Please add support for PLY mesh format so we can use high polys for bakes which have more than 65 million polygons (restriction of FBX).

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. 3D parameter editor

While using substance designer, I use World Space Normal maps a lot.
    Sometimes I think that using 3 angles or a color is so confusing.
    If I can adjust an angle in 3d viewport and use that angle as a float3 value, it will be helpful.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Create an RGB image without a mask being automatically being added.

Create an RGB image without the mask being automatically added as an alpha channel.

As we have a workflow in the studio where we use PSD export and we need the layered PSD file not to have layer masks.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Texture baking with settable mesh smoothing

Allow texture baking to a settable smoothed version of the input mesh to accomodate different rendering engines and get accurate results.
    (Catmull-clark subdivision, choice of the number of divisions, smoothing of UV and/or UV borders...)

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Easier to see nodes that use custom parameters

Would it be possible to make the nodes using custom parameters more clearly visible when using the Using Custom Parameter search function of the Node Lookup Tool.

At the moment they're rendered as normal with the others being dimmed. This works if there aren't that many nodes in a graph, but when the graph is fairly complex these can be difficult to see. Something like a yellow border around the highlighted node might help greatly in quickly locating them.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

backlog  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. gradient map node

Sampler or preset to save/load gradients.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Image catalog to easily compare before and after changes.

It would be great to have a way to save out a snapshot from the 2d or 3d view so you can compare before and after making a few changes to the graph. Functionality could be similar to Pixar's "it" image viewer, or Houdini's MPlay, but would be a pane inside of Designer.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. UI rescaling is an absolute pain, undocked panels 1 pixel border selection

I'm using a multi-monitor set up and I am constantly hassled by trying to resize my windows. Sometimes I want to re-orient them in a particular way because I'm looking at reference. Sometimes I want them larger or smaller. Being able to drag and resize a window is extremely important.

The problem I am facing (and I always have been having) is that the floating windows in the UI are nearly impossible to resize. It seems like its literally -1- pixel border selection. This is very hard to work with. A good working example is in your internet browser window,…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. SVG node: fill gradients

Substance Designer

SVG could be used for more than just flat shape masks.

Several Substance Designer tutorials appear to be a long series of steps in which people painstakingly create shapes in SD with gradients that could be achieved in seconds in a vector program and imported as an SVG, if the SVG node handled gradients.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Improve visibilty of crop controls

The crop controls in the 2D view for crop nodes are barely visible on very noisy textures like rocks. The controls are then very difficult to manipulate. Please let us scroll through different control patterns so we can use one that renders well for a given texture, in particular use one with larger borders, or dim the outside of the cropped area (like Photoshop is doing with the Crop tool).

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Save As Copy...

Different from "save as..." as "save as copy..." would allow you to keep working on your current file, while creating a new file with the current state of your work.

Would be great on those random but creative circumstances where you unexpectedly find something very cool for a node idea, but it doesn't fit your objective. You want to save it for later exploration but you have real work to fulfil so, as you don't want to ditch it away what you do is "save as..." into a new folder and then "save as..." again into the previous working file.…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Substance Designer

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base