Substance Painter

Let us know how to improve Substance Painter!
Some guidelines before posting:
- This place is dedicated to feature requests and/new ideas suggestions. It is not made for bug reports (you can use the forum or the bug reporters for this).
- Before to create a new ticket, make sure your idea hadn’t been suggested before (if so it’s better to upvote it)
- 1 post = 1 idea

Thanks

1. 41 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Substance by Adobe
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow UV tiles (UDIM tiles) to be renamed

With the new Substance Painter UDIM workflow, UV Tiles appear in the Texture Set List with their standard sequential numeric values (1001, 1002, 1003, etc).

I'd like the ability to rename these tiles, or alternately add a textual name value to appear next to the tile number. This would provide a nice usability benefit to remember what the purpose/use of each tile is.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Better support for non square textures.

Substance Painters UV viewport is 1X1 texturespace.

So when working with non square textures you need to stretch the UV to cover 1X1 space.

Due to this Painter works from a stretched UV and that will stretch the textures placed on it.

A good example on problems you can get is when your trying to add a checker pattern to a UV'd sleeve on a shirt, in a bent arm position. Its a complicated shape, with folds and with a bend in the middle. So not always possible to keep it orientated horizontal or vertical.

Because of this your not…

52 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. ID color picker location

When you rebake your maps after reimporting a corrected mesh the colors of the ID map changes. This cause all the layers that used color selection to break.
    If the pick color remembered where you did your pick color it could update easily all the colors for the masks.

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. To be able to store baked maps on disk (not inside the substance file)

I'm working on a asset that has almost 40 udims. When I bake the utility maps needed for all those udims (some needing 8k) my file size increases to 20GB+ because all the maps are stored in the substance file.

I'd suggest an option in the preferences where one could choose a seperate location for those maps so every substance (and autosave) doesn't have to be so large.

This would save time on saves and autosaves (right now it's taking 3+ minutes on a 20+ GB file) and would also make me save the file more often, which reduces time…

22 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Paint Layer with the same transform functions as a Fill Layer

I think it would be a great idea to have the same transform features as per the fill layer for paint layers. This means being able to visually manipulate the scale, position, and rotation within the 2D (UV) View, and having the same sliders where you can scale in either X or Y, ect...

This will save us time from having to use Anchors and referencing our Painter Layers in another Fill Layer. The transform filter has limitations and isn't as intuitive as a Fill Layer which is why a lot of people are resorting to using anchors as a…

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Copy paste / Drag and drop sub layers and mask layers.

We can already reorder sub layers... However, being able to copy and paste any sub layers/mask layers (filters, fills, levels) is kind of missing. Also, being able to drag and drop them from one layer (or mask layer) to another would be nice.

109 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

25 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Make active the "export" button in the export menu for quick re-export

In Painter 2019, the "export" button was active for pressing Enter, and I could very quickly re-export maps using hotkeys:

control + shift + e
    enter

Please make this button active again, it is inconvenient to click with the mouse every time.

Or add a hotkey option to export maps with current export settings.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Python API > Access to layers

Extending the Python API by getting access to layer operations like:

• Creating, renaming, deleting layers

• Reordering of layers

• Assigning resources to layers

• Editing layer properties (Blend modes, channels, opacity, etc.)

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Support 16-bit for EXR texture export

In VFX, it's very common to use EXRs at 16-bit, and it is usually the default bit-depth when using them.

Please add support for 16-bit EXR texture export.

Also, I'd like to echo Stu Tozer's request to provide compression scheme options:

https://forum.substance3d.com/index.php?topic=25551.0

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Python API - UV Tiles workflow

Hi, there is currently nothing insinde Python API documentation to handle UV Tiles !
    We can handle channel pretty well but not having anything for UV Tiles makes it quite useless.
    For example resolution is now depending on 2 factors : Texture Sets and UV Tiles

And more general thing it would be great if the API could be updated with more stuff, it is very limited for now ! Thanks

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Sub categories for materials

I don't want to have all my materials in a single collection. I want to be able to keep my own materials and variations in a separate folder from the default ones, and be able to put downloaded materials in their own folders..

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Blender-style Customizeable Menu for Favorite Tools

This is something that seems so obvious for every DCC package to have:

Give me a one-key shortcut to open a customizeable menu that has Favorite tools I've assigned for common tasks for easier access. Right Clicking any option, or tool, brush, material, etc. brings up the "Add to Quick Favorites" option, and pressing the keyboard shortcut for that menu brings up all the settings I've added to it.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Merging Texture Sets

Merge the Texture sets on the export.

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. More export options, like flags and texture renaming

Add more flags, like $size, and allow to change the naming, like albedo or diffuse instead of base color.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Combine PNG's when exporting final textures

I noticed that the workflow is much smoother when I segment parts of the model in advance to be their own unique layers.

Yet, I have no feature to combine the resulted PNG, because each area of the mesh itself still belongs to the same UV map.

I want an option that'll allow me to combine PNG'S, when they combine in this manner:
    On each resulting image, the area external to the seen parts on the model are considered as "0", blank
    And the areas seen on the model are considered as "1", filled with information.
    When combining the PNG'S…

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Dynamic Scaleable User Interface

In the included image one can easily see the large discrepancy between the font size on the desktop and Substance Painter. The screen resolution is set to 3840 x 2160 and the desktop has been zoomed by 25%. It appears to me that either the underlying UI components are a bit dated or just do not consider the higher display resolutions that are available today. Even though I am using a 43" monitor I need to be no more than 12" away to be able to read anything. I should add that I am in my 60's so that has…

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Skip autosave when there hasn't been any change

I sometimes don't close Substance Painter when done for the day. (to start a 8K export on all UDIMs for example). After the export is finished after a couple hours, Substance continues to save every half hour, even though there isn't any change between autosaves.

It seems fairly obvious, and therefore I'd like to suggest it as a new option in the preferences or just a new feature to only autosave when there has been a change.

12 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Dragging a texture into Layer panel would automatically create a Fill Layer

Dragging a texture into Layer panel would automatically create a Fill Layer with said texture.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Visualize Bake Settings with Rays pointing in and out of Surface

It would be nice to visualize the settings in real time by producing rays that extrude from each vertex (or a portion of them when dealing with large vertex count, or even just a few you can personally select on the surface) along the surface of the object. It would also make the settings and normalization parameters easy to get an intuitive feel for if they were projected out of the surface using simple lines to display min max distance (etc...). Yes, some of these values are incredibly low and probably beyond what can be consistently rendered with floating point…

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 22 23
  • Don't see your idea?

Substance Painter

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base