Substance Painter

Let us know how to improve Substance Painter!
Some guidelines before posting:
- This place is dedicated to feature requests and/new ideas suggestions. It is not made for bug reports (you can use the forum or the bug reporters for this).
- Before to create a new ticket, make sure your idea hadn’t been suggested before (if so it’s better to upvote it)
- 1 post = 1 idea

Thanks

1. 36 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Substance by Adobe
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Better support for non square textures.

Substance Painters UV viewport is 1X1 texturespace.

So when working with non square textures you need to stretch the UV to cover 1X1 space.

Due to this Painter works from a stretched UV and that will stretch the textures placed on it.

A good example on problems you can get is when your trying to add a checker pattern to a UV'd sleeve on a shirt, in a bent arm position. Its a complicated shape, with folds and with a bend in the middle. So not always possible to keep it orientated horizontal or vertical.

Because of this your not…

45 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. To be able to store baked maps on disk (not inside the substance file)

I'm working on a asset that has almost 40 udims. When I bake the utility maps needed for all those udims (some needing 8k) my file size increases to 20GB+ because all the maps are stored in the substance file.

I'd suggest an option in the preferences where one could choose a seperate location for those maps so every substance (and autosave) doesn't have to be so large.

This would save time on saves and autosaves (right now it's taking 3+ minutes on a 20+ GB file) and would also make me save the file more often, which reduces time…

18 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Copy paste / Drag and drop sub layers and mask layers.

We can already reorder sub layers... However, being able to copy and paste any sub layers/mask layers (filters, fills, levels) is kind of missing. Also, being able to drag and drop them from one layer (or mask layer) to another would be nice.

93 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

23 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Combine PNG's when exporting final textures

I noticed that the workflow is much smoother when I segment parts of the model in advance to be their own unique layers.

Yet, I have no feature to combine the resulted PNG, because each area of the mesh itself still belongs to the same UV map.

I want an option that'll allow me to combine PNG'S, when they combine in this manner:
    On each resulting image, the area external to the seen parts on the model are considered as "0", blank
    And the areas seen on the model are considered as "1", filled with information.
    When combining the PNG'S…

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Support 16-bit for EXR texture export

In VFX, it's very common to use EXRs at 16-bit, and it is usually the default bit-depth when using them.

Please add support for 16-bit EXR texture export.

Also, I'd like to echo Stu Tozer's request to provide compression scheme options:

https://forum.substance3d.com/index.php?topic=25551.0

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Skip autosave when there hasn't been any change

I sometimes don't close Substance Painter when done for the day. (to start a 8K export on all UDIMs for example). After the export is finished after a couple hours, Substance continues to save every half hour, even though there isn't any change between autosaves.

It seems fairly obvious, and therefore I'd like to suggest it as a new option in the preferences or just a new feature to only autosave when there has been a change.

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Custom Plug-In Directory Paths

At my studio, we need to distribute a set of custom Substance Painter plug-ins to all of the artists. Substance Painter doesn't provide any mechanism to load plug-ins outside of the standard Windows path at %userprofile%\Documents\Allegorithmic\Substance Painter\plugins.

We want to avoid modifying modifying %userprofile% or placing files in the users' Documents folder, which is outside the realm of the directories that our pipeline typically manages.

Most DCC software allows you to specify custom plug-in paths. Can you expose a command line argument or environment variable for additional plug-in path loading?

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. bent normal baking in painter

For instance as an export map under output templates.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Splash screen disable feature.

It is a bit annoying to not be able to skip the splash screen on SP loading. It is a pretty picture, but it prevents usage of computer in the meantime, while SP loads. It is especially annoying when you are working in a hurry.

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Visualize Bake Settings with Rays pointing in and out of Surface

It would be nice to visualize the settings in real time by producing rays that extrude from each vertex (or a portion of them when dealing with large vertex count, or even just a few you can personally select on the surface) along the surface of the object. It would also make the settings and normalization parameters easy to get an intuitive feel for if they were projected out of the surface using simple lines to display min max distance (etc...). Yes, some of these values are incredibly low and probably beyond what can be consistently rendered with floating point…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Cylindrical Projection

Add a cylindrical projection that works like tri-planar to the Fill option.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Autosave fails when hard drive fills up

If your hard drive fills up, autosave will get stuck causing all work to be lost. It should be aware when the hard drive where autosaves are located is too full and not attempt to autosave if there is not enough space, and warn the user that there is not enough space to save the autosave file.

Or be able to cancel an autosave that is in progress.

Also, a setting to limit the number of autosaves for a project.

Also, something to not autosave when nothing has changed in the project.

I can't believe this happens! The feature that…

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. MaterialX Support

Support for Lucasarts MaterialX.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Proper gradient tool for easy workflow

For example, I can't texture my character in Substance Painter that way - nor Substance nor Unreal Engine support this! The only option - bake maps inside Blender!

What I mean, is that I just can't do smooth gradients with 4-5 colors, which have different positions, and especially if I want to place gradients precisely around model, or lots of gradients with masks, but with lots of transitions (visible-not visible-visible etc - on ONE mask).

Also, It's not a user-friendly to position gradient based on "Position" map. It often gives me wrong direction of gradient or is generally slow to…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Merging Texture Sets

Merge the Texture sets on the export.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Object scale value for USDZ and glTF on export from Painter please

USDZ or glTF export sometimes got the wrong scale. It's a paint to rescale the base medel and get painter to redo the paint strokes on the rescaled model plus you need to rescale low and high lopy in order to be able to rebake again.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Ability to import UDIM textures and automatically apply them on UDIM tiles inside Substance Painter

Many times I am taking over an asset which is done in Mari and has the maps already exported. If the asset has a lot of UDIM tiles, its difficult to go in one by one and import the UDIM tiles and apply them on each UDIM texture set in Substance Painter.

Can we please have an automated system where I can point SP to a folder, it matches the textures in the folder to the texture sets in my SP project and imports all of those textures and applies them to my mesh?

Thankyou!

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Sub categories for materials

I don't want to have all my materials in a single collection. I want to be able to keep my own materials and variations in a separate folder from the default ones, and be able to put downloaded materials in their own folders..

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Ctrl+Click an area of UV map to auto focus layer

Like in Photoshop, if you Ctrl+click a small item within the image, you are taken to that specific layer.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 20 21
  • Don't see your idea?

Substance Painter

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base