Substance Painter

Let us know how to improve Substance Painter!
Some guidelines before posting:
- This place is dedicated to feature requests and/new ideas suggestions. It is not made for bug reports (you can use the forum or the bug reporters for this).
- Before to create a new ticket, make sure your idea hadn’t been suggested before (if so it’s better to upvote it)
- 1 post = 1 idea

Thanks

1. Better support for non square textures.

Substance Painters UV viewport is 1X1 texturespace.

So when working with non square textures you need to stretch the UV to cover 1X1 space.

Due to this Painter works from a stretched UV and that will stretch the textures placed on it.

A good example on problems you can get is when your trying to add a checker pattern to a UV'd sleeve on a shirt, in a bent arm position. Its a complicated shape, with folds and with a bend in the middle. So not always possible to keep it orientated horizontal or vertical.

Because of this your not…

29 votes
    Sign in Sign in with All Right Reserved
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. To be able to store baked maps on disk (not inside the substance file)

I'm working on a asset that has almost 40 udims. When I bake the utility maps needed for all those udims (some needing 8k) my file size increases to 20GB+ because all the maps are stored in the substance file.

I'd suggest an option in the preferences where one could choose a seperate location for those maps so every substance (and autosave) doesn't have to be so large.

This would save time on saves and autosaves (right now it's taking 3+ minutes on a 20+ GB file) and would also make me save the file more often, which reduces time…

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Copy paste / Drag and drop sub layers and mask layers.

We can already reorder sub layers... However, being able to copy and paste any sub layers/mask layers (filters, fills, levels) is kind of missing. Also, being able to drag and drop them from one layer (or mask layer) to another would be nice.

23 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Same features and UX for SBSAR materials between Painter and Designer

If you have ever created a SBSAR material for Painter you may have noticed that the experience of using it in Designer and in Painter is pretty different. There is a bunch of specificities in Painter you have to know in order to make it work as you wish – when possible – and once that done you discover that the UI of your material is not exactly what you had at the beginning in Designer.

Not only this is disturbing (after all it is the same material that is manipulated) but as a material designer it requires quite a…

36 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

started  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. bake curvature from mesh

Right now the curvature is generated from the Normal Map which leaves artefacts and gaps. Since a lot of smart materials are driven by curvature maps, curvature from mesh would be a crucial addition to painter's bakers.

15 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. RTX support

Allow support for RTX to speed up the baking process (similar to designer)

10 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. create something like zBrush stroke roll

zBrush has one cool option for stroke. It is Roll. It is realy powerfull thing! I can't find something like this in painter.
    I create simple test in zBrush and Substance Painter. I used the same alpha for test.
    Here you see zBrush and Painter results:

43 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Please expose a checkbox to force Painter 2019.3 to recreate UV

I could evaluate the new create UV function much faster with my existing project meshes (which all have UVs) if I could force Painter to create UV even if the mesh has some. Let the user decide, it makes it much easier to compare painter UV creation with 3dsmax or Maya

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Bake id map from material id to random color

In my current workflow, I have to render a highpoly in VRay which I then use to bake the different maps on my lowpoly. they are mostly mechanical stuff and most of the time, the materials have the same colors but different roughness and/or metallic values. As such, the material colors are useless for baking the ID map and I have to spend countless time replacing each material with a different color.

It would be nice to have the option bake the ID map using the material name and have it assigned a random color.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. I want to sell a subscription for substance source only

First of all apologize for posting in google translation.

I'm currently buying a buy-out type substance product on steam.
    However, in order to use the substance source, you must subscribe even though you already have substance products.

So I suggest that you start selling subscriptions with only substance sources, or want users who already have substance products to use them freely.

If this idea is accepted, I think that it will become more creative.
    Please vote to support me so that my thoughts can be conveyed to the management.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Separate (multiple) 2D / 3D viewports

The idea was coined by user Retry on the forum here:

https://forum.substance3d.com/index.php/topic,30094.0

The request is to faciltate the ability to check the work immediately on a different screen with a different camera. The most obvious example is being able to paint in the 2D view (UV view) and seeing the 3D view update; preferably on different monitors as well. As Retry's example outlines, painting on the Cintiq and seeing 3D viewport updates on the second monitor.

An example from Mari, it allows you to view your work simultaneously from different angles practically immediately after "baking" the paint strokes. This makes…

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Live link with Photoshop

It would be great to have a live link between SP and PS. The export to PS is a great tool, but I need to come back again to SP and continue to paint my textures (and today it is not possible).

I only use other software to make my textures because I need this tool. Since Adobe is the new owner o SP, I would like to see an easier and better bridge between the two software.

Continue to make this great job, Substance's Team!

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Tags for Shelf Items

It would be very useful to have an option to create tags for Shelf items to make searching for specific elements possible. For example a fine noise bump inside a smart material gets lost if I name it "sandstone". Next time I'm doing something that's not sandstone but requires a fine noise bump, I have no way of finding it other than remembering that sandstone smart material has it.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Skip autosave when there hasn't been any change

I sometimes don't close Substance Painter when done for the day. (to start a 8K export on all UDIMs for example). After the export is finished after a couple hours, Substance continues to save every half hour, even though there isn't any change between autosaves.

It seems fairly obvious, and therefore I'd like to suggest it as a new option in the preferences or just a new feature to only autosave when there has been a change.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Ability to import UDIM textures and automatically apply them on UDIM tiles inside Substance Painter

Many times I am taking over an asset which is done in Mari and has the maps already exported. If the asset has a lot of UDIM tiles, its difficult to go in one by one and import the UDIM tiles and apply them on each UDIM texture set in Substance Painter.

Can we please have an automated system where I can point SP to a folder, it matches the textures in the folder to the texture sets in my SP project and imports all of those textures and applies them to my mesh?

Thankyou!

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. History log to note when project has been saved

It would be useful for the history log to display when the project has been saved, similar to how Photoshop's history panel puts (Save) next to the latest action before saving.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Polygon fill erase

Need possibility to erase by polygons, meshes and uv shells.

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Disable anchor point computation

Allow the user to temporary disable an anchor point. So you can more easily edit it without recomputing the reference layers, which becomes slow after a while

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Color Histogram of Channels

Just like the histogram you see when adding a levels effect on a passthrough layer. I'd like to see my colors (basecolor) and grey values (height, roughness and metallic), while editing them.

The reason for this is simple. I know where I want the levels to be but it's hard to judge the precise value by just viewing the screen. If I want a roughness to range between .1 and .5. I want to be able to see that in the viewport (like an overlay you can toggle. Now everytime I want to check my values I have to make…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Smoothing inside of Substance Painter

It can get annoying having to smooth your objects before importing into Substance so a smoothing option inside of Painter itself would be very helpful.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 21 22
  • Don't see your idea?

Substance Painter

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base