Substance Painter

Let us know how to improve Substance Painter!
Some guidelines before posting:
- This place is dedicated to feature requests and/new ideas suggestions. It is not made for bug reports (you can use the forum or the bug reporters for this).
- Before to create a new ticket, make sure your idea hadn’t been suggested before (if so it’s better to upvote it)
- 1 post = 1 idea

Thanks

1. Please expose a checkbox to force Painter 2019.3 to recreate UV

I could evaluate the new create UV function much faster with my existing project meshes (which all have UVs) if I could force Painter to create UV even if the mesh has some. Let the user decide, it makes it much easier to compare painter UV creation with 3dsmax or Maya

1 vote
    Sign in Sign in with Substance by Adobe
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Live link with Photoshop

It would be great to have a live link between SP and PS. The export to PS is a great tool, but I need to come back again to SP and continue to paint my textures (and today it is not possible).

I only use other software to make my textures because I need this tool. Since Adobe is the new owner o SP, I would like to see an easier and better bridge between the two software.

Continue to make this great job, Substance's Team!

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Subscription payment issues in mainland China

Hello, I want to pay for the Substance Painter subscription. Unfortunately, I did n’t find any mainland bank or credit card in the payment subscription version, only Hong Kong. Whether it will be followed by anti-payment. I mainly want to use Substance source.
    Does the steam version support the use of Substance source?

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Bake id map from material id to random color

In my current workflow, I have to render a highpoly in VRay which I then use to bake the different maps on my lowpoly. they are mostly mechanical stuff and most of the time, the materials have the same colors but different roughness and/or metallic values. As such, the material colors are useless for baking the ID map and I have to spend countless time replacing each material with a different color.

It would be nice to have the option bake the ID map using the material name and have it assigned a random color.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Separate (multiple) 2D / 3D viewports

The idea was coined by user Retry on the forum here:

https://forum.substance3d.com/index.php/topic,30094.0

The request is to faciltate the ability to check the work immediately on a different screen with a different camera. The most obvious example is being able to paint in the 2D view (UV view) and seeing the 3D view update; preferably on different monitors as well. As Retry's example outlines, painting on the Cintiq and seeing 3D viewport updates on the second monitor.

An example from Mari, it allows you to view your work simultaneously from different angles practically immediately after "baking" the paint strokes. This makes…

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Creating Normal Maps from scratch

Please add functional for creation from scratch Normal Maps as in program Quixel NDO

At this moment i can't find and buy program with similar functional.

It's very important for our workflow where we are work with very small texel.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Color Histogram of Channels

Just like the histogram you see when adding a levels effect on a passthrough layer. I'd like to see my colors (basecolor) and grey values (height, roughness and metallic), while editing them.

The reason for this is simple. I know where I want the levels to be but it's hard to judge the precise value by just viewing the screen. If I want a roughness to range between .1 and .5. I want to be able to see that in the viewport (like an overlay you can toggle. Now everytime I want to check my values I have to make…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Cylindrical UV Mapping

Ability to apply Cylindrical UV mapping. i.e. on a barrel, or a sleeve, etc

It should work like Triplanar with manipulators and such, but cylindrical, like you can do in 3dsmax. . .

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Automatic UV

Improve the current state of the automatic UV mesh to make it work perfectly. Quick export of materials from the substance to, for example, a blender. Much faster would improve the work with this program.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. create something like zBrush stroke roll

zBrush has one cool option for stroke. It is Roll. It is realy powerfull thing! I can't find something like this in painter.
    I create simple test in zBrush and Substance Painter. I used the same alpha for test.
    Here you see zBrush and Painter results:

45 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Polygon fill erase

Need possibility to erase by polygons, meshes and uv shells.

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. UI presets

I have to reset UI fairly frequently when certain items on the upper bar disappear entirely, but when I do this I have to manually drag all of the shelf pieces back where I want them.
    I put SHELF and PROPERTIES on my second monitor to leave more room for Layers, texture settings, and actually viewing what I'm working on.
    I would like it if Resetting UI would bring me back to my preferred setup, or at least have the option to load a UI preset.
    Perfect example of this can be found in Nuke

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Read Shelf Icons Directly from SBSAR File if Exists

Too much time is spent manually assigning and updating icons in Painter, for materials and tools that have embedded icons in the SBSAR. If one exists, it should be loaded by default, which should also help reduce thumbnail compute time.

Ideally, each shelf, and or shelf's content folder can be configured for this behavior, so that individual content types can opt in or out of this behavior.

An alternative would be to be able to iterate over shelf content via the API, and assign icons, but this seems like a large workaround, and would also require a script that run…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Adding more variables for file names

I would like some more options when exporting a lot of different versions of textures from ther same mesh. Some more variables for the configuration menu would be appreciated or perhaps creating your own somehow.

Currently I want the optio to add the $resoltion variable to easily export diffferent sized textures without overwriting the previous ones.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. I want to sell a subscription for substance source only

First of all apologize for posting in google translation.

I'm currently buying a buy-out type substance product on steam.
    However, in order to use the substance source, you must subscribe even though you already have substance products.

So I suggest that you start selling subscriptions with only substance sources, or want users who already have substance products to use them freely.

If this idea is accepted, I think that it will become more creative.
    Please vote to support me so that my thoughts can be conveyed to the management.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Sound when baking is done

Option for an alert sound to play when Painter finishes baking maps. 8k Maps with AA can take a few minutes each so it would be useful to have an alert let you know when they are done.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Wintab option over windows Ink

Windows ink is horredous and everyone hates it, why remove wintab? please if you want to have windows ink, have both ! don't make our life harder, 3D is already buggy, crashy and stressfull enough, specially with substance, which is the worst optimized texturing software out there, where with a 1080ti you get bad performance sometimes.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Install multiple version of Substance Painter through Substance Launcher

In Unreal you can install multiple versions of Unreal Engine. I would like the same function for Substance Launcher. The reason for this is many of us for sure works with difference clients. More often than not they have preference as to which version of SP to use. So having to install different version and build will give us flexibility.

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Tags for Shelf Items

It would be very useful to have an option to create tags for Shelf items to make searching for specific elements possible. For example a fine noise bump inside a smart material gets lost if I name it "sandstone". Next time I'm doing something that's not sandstone but requires a fine noise bump, I have no way of finding it other than remembering that sandstone smart material has it.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Substance Painter

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base