Substance Painter

Let us know how to improve Substance Painter!
Some guidelines before posting:
- This place is dedicated to feature requests and/new ideas suggestions. It is not made for bug reports (you can use the forum or the bug reporters for this).
- Before to create a new ticket, make sure your idea hadn’t been suggested before (if so it’s better to upvote it)
- 1 post = 1 idea

Thanks

1. Change brush defaults

Please, allow Permanent change to Brush default settings. Spacing, Alignment, Size Space, etc.
    Saving as preset is not a valid solution.
    We are working on hundreds of compact files per day, changing and retrieving settings every time adds up to several hours lost each week.

3 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Substance by Adobe
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. History log to note when project has been saved

It would be useful for the history log to display when the project has been saved, similar to how Photoshop's history panel puts (Save) next to the latest action before saving.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Disable anchor point computation

Allow the user to temporary disable an anchor point. So you can more easily edit it without recomputing the reference layers, which becomes slow after a while

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Support UNC paths (huge for working from servers)

Substance Painter only works on mapped drives. We can't import or export to UNC network paths and it's very frustrating. I hope this is an easy fix and gets solved soon.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Color Picker with SRGB and Linear color codes

Currently we cant save a color to a palette or copy an SRGB/Linear hex color code to quickly apply exact same colours between programs and layers.

55 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

started  ·  11 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. environment variable support

Trying to set up environments for Painter in film studios is currently a laborious process.

Allowing us to set environment variables which point to project specific shelves and plugins, defined by our virtual environment, would be a huge benefit to the film industry.

23 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. 2d View Lattice

It would be great to add an option to lattice a shape/layer in the 2d view.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Display shelf content as list.

Display shelf content as list (with full names) and/or detailed list (with texture resolution, format, etc)
    To see the full name now, you need to place the cursor over the preview and wait, or set the shelf display to large.

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. 3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Break instances

It would be great to be able to break an instanced layer or group of layers to make it unique. I know that you can still copy and paste layers between texturesets but it would be a better workflow to just be able to break the link between the source layer and the ¨children¨ one. For example, sometime I paint on a mask inside of my ¨parent¨ instanced group and then I would like to paint on the same mask but inside of the textureset that has the ¨children¨ instanced group, but I can't. Since I'm not sure if I'm…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Painting: Material Picker Shortcut is needed ASAP

Well, that's the idea: with the new painting workflow it's really annoying to click a button to grab the color. Shortcut could be awesome. And since ALT is reserved for the navigation, it can be ALT+~ or ALT+Q, just to be a bit familiar from PS.
    Also flow could use some shortcuts to set it to 5, 10, 20, 30, 50 and 100%, at least.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Specify Default Blend Mode per SBSAR User Channel Output

Custom User Channels are limited in their effectiveness by not being able to defined a Default Blend Mode. Base Material types in particular that are designed to interact with those custom user channels, currently require that 1.) A user knows the intended blend mode 2.) The user changes the blend mode for each instance of the material that targets that channel.

AO, Normal, Height, etc.. all have default blend modes. Custom User defined channels really need this too.

Ideally, IMO, the value can be set in the SBSAR and the user never needs to worry about it, similar to other…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. User Defined / Custom Mesh Map Input

Custom workflows that require access to custom, static mesh-map like maps would benefit greatly from this addition.

For example, if a static lightmap must be accessible anywhere in a texture set's scope, it must be computed at the bottom of the stack (assuming it's an SBSAR generator), and then much care and attention must be employed by the artist to manage scope and access to that data (usually requiring anchor points, which unfortunately adds a texture set relative dependency, which also affects Smart Material effectiveness).

In short, multiple instances or references to an SBSAR generator or bitmap can be avoided…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Support for exporting all textures at different bit depths

I would like to be able to export all of my textures in one click and have them all have a 8 bit depth except for the height map which i want to have a 16 bit depth.

Currently, i need to have 2 presets, one for exporting everything and another one for exporting only my height map in 16bits :(

It would be great to be able to create one preset so this additional work is no longer needed.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Allow 360 degree angle for lighting rather than rotating around Up axis

Sometimes I have models that have details on the bottom of the mesh (a car underbody for example) that I cant accurately see what the lighting looks like because Painter only allows for rotating the scene lighting around the Up axis.

47 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. 2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Smooth mesh inside Substance Painter

It's very annoying to have to export a smoothed version of asset so that the curvature and AO can work properly. So, that would be great if there was a way to smooth the mesh out directly in SP before baking the maps.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Add more Hotkey possibilities

So, one thing I use a lot is the following order for many layers:

Add Black Mask > Add Fill > Drag a particular texture, be it baked or procedural onto the fill

Maybe the addition of more hotkey possibilities could make this process faster, adding a black mask and adding a fill or paint into it wouldn't take 3 to 5 seconds anymore.

This idea can expand to many other features and adding a hotkey integration to more things could help users into adapting their workflow into the software.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Add the option for enabling/disabling backface culling

Add the option for enabling/disabling backface culling when painting in the 3D view

11 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Add ability to create/edit channel across all texture sets

Currently if you need to add a new channel (i.e. user0) to an asset that has multiple textures sets (UDIMs), you need to click through each texture set and add the user0 channel manually. This is also true if you want to change the data type of a channel (i.e. change my user0 from 32 bit to 16 bit)

Could we add the ability to create a new channel across all texture sets simultaneously? This could be the same as the Instantiate Across Texture Sets gui.

Thanks,
    Chris

21 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Substance Painter

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base