Substance Painter

Let us know how to improve Substance Painter!
Some guidelines before posting:
- This place is dedicated to feature requests and/new ideas suggestions. It is not made for bug reports (you can use the forum or the bug reporters for this).
- Before to create a new ticket, make sure your idea hadn’t been suggested before (if so it’s better to upvote it)
- 1 post = 1 idea

Thanks

1. export to .sbsar

Ability to export/publish Painter textures to sbsar please.

64 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Substance by Adobe
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

backlog  ·  5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Color Picker with SRGB and Linear color codes

Currently we cant save a color to a palette or copy an SRGB/Linear hex color code to quickly apply exact same colours between programs and layers.

59 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

started  ·  11 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Merge File

As an outsource partner I run into this regularly where someone makes an asset and its not all in the same painter scene. which causes extreme confusion and a lack of ability to look at an asset as a whole outside of marmoset.

SO! I propose that being able to merge painter files, much like you can merge max scene into one file.

I mean it couldn't be insanely difficult as each mesh element has its own separate material applied, therefore would display the same way in the painter scene as it would if it was set up that way…

58 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Better support for non square textures.

Substance Painters UV viewport is 1X1 texturespace.

So when working with non square textures you need to stretch the UV to cover 1X1 space.

Due to this Painter works from a stretched UV and that will stretch the textures placed on it.

A good example on problems you can get is when your trying to add a checker pattern to a UV'd sleeve on a shirt, in a bent arm position. Its a complicated shape, with folds and with a bend in the middle. So not always possible to keep it orientated horizontal or vertical.

Because of this your not…

55 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Turntable render for Substance Painter 2

Loving the new IRay renderer, the ability to render a turntable would make SP1 and/or 2 the full package though :)

55 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Import photoshop ABR brush file and CSH file

Want use more brushes , need import photoshop brush and Custom Shapes, like in 3d-coat and body-paint.

55 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. hex color with copy/paste

Right now you have RGB and HSV values, but it would be really useful to have a corresponding box with the equivalent color value in hex like #82174D. Photoshop has this functionality, and the value of this feature is that you can copy/paste this hex number from another source like Photoshop or a palette generator like http://paletton.com/ without having to edit every RGB or HSV value. Way faster for building palettes.

This would work great with an "add to swatch"-type feature as well, but there are several suggestions here to add that already.

54 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

started  ·  10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Remember last Brush settings for each layer!

It would be very handy, if Substance Painter could remember the last brush settings for each layer. If you work on different paint layers and you are going back and forth, it takes a lot of time to change the brush settings for every layer over and over again.

Helpful would be, if there were an option that painter would remember the last brush settings (like alpha, mask, substance / color, height, metallic and roughness values). That would speed up the workflow between different layers.

Thanks!

53 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

backlog  ·  6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. create something like zBrush stroke roll

zBrush has one cool option for stroke. It is Roll. It is realy powerfull thing! I can't find something like this in painter.
    I create simple test in zBrush and Substance Painter. I used the same alpha for test.
    Here you see zBrush and Painter results:

48 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Allow 360 degree angle for lighting rather than rotating around Up axis

Sometimes I have models that have details on the bottom of the mesh (a car underbody for example) that I cant accurately see what the lighting looks like because Painter only allows for rotating the scene lighting around the Up axis.

48 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. copy/paste content between channels

One big attribute I miss from Mari, is their ability to copy/paste between channels. As it is now, if I lay down some texture in color, then later decide that I want it to inform the height, there's no way to do that without painting it all over again.

43 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. 42 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Polygon Fill needs projection toggle

Polygon Fill needs toggle to turn off projecting through the mesh, so just what's present gets selected, not everything projected through to the backside of the model as well.
    I often just want to select a rectangular patch, especially in quick mask, and have to carefully deselect everything behind it after the fact every time.

41 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Paint to correct normal map skew like Marmoset

It would be really nice to be able to paint out skewed normal detail with per pixel blending like you can do in Marmoset. There is a plug-in that is kind of a hacky way to do it in the substance share database that works by masking the edges, but it does not work well in all cases, and is kind of annoying to set up. Marmoset does it with per pixel blending, so you can easily paint precise masks to correct for the skew. You can see what I mean here:

https://mk0marmoset2r9got8jk.kinstacdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/skewopt.gif

28 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. "Clear Mask" should not remove the effects stack - rather only the hand-painted part

The "clear mask" option doesn't make much sense currently - there is nearly no use case for it. It removes the content, and the effects stack on the mask.

If the users should ever want this, they could simply use "remove mask" and add a new one.

But in most workflows you rather have a complex effects stack, and some hand painted strokes on top of it. So once you update the mesh (or exchange it completely) you would want to remove the paint strokes, but keep the effects stack.

Right now there are only unpractical workarounds for this. One…

27 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Grids, Snapping, Guides + 2D View Improvements

2D-View Grid with Snapping/Toggle functionality (Similar to Photoshop). Photoshop-Style drag-in guides (with snap ability).

Ability to snap the grid to either the view-port or the texture, so you can move them independently and line them up however you please.

27 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. bake curvature from mesh

Right now the curvature is generated from the Normal Map which leaves artefacts and gaps. Since a lot of smart materials are driven by curvature maps, curvature from mesh would be a crucial addition to painter's bakers.

26 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Free WASD camera navigation

Adding WASD free camera movement (like unity). This allows you to paint indoor scenes a lot easier. Now I'm struggling really hard to get a wall in view.

26 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Show selected layer only / Isolate select

Like in Photoshop when You hit Alt and Click on a single layer and it only shows You the selected layer / Isolated View

26 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. To be able to store baked maps on disk (not inside the substance file)

I'm working on a asset that has almost 40 udims. When I bake the utility maps needed for all those udims (some needing 8k) my file size increases to 20GB+ because all the maps are stored in the substance file.

I'd suggest an option in the preferences where one could choose a seperate location for those maps so every substance (and autosave) doesn't have to be so large.

This would save time on saves and autosaves (right now it's taking 3+ minutes on a 20+ GB file) and would also make me save the file more often, which reduces time…

25 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Substance Painter

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base