Substance Painter

Let us know how to improve Substance Painter!
Some guidelines before posting:
- This place is dedicated to feature requests and/new ideas suggestions. It is not made for bug reports (you can use the forum or the bug reporters for this).
- Before to create a new ticket, make sure your idea hadn’t been suggested before (if so it’s better to upvote it)
- 1 post = 1 idea

Thanks

1. Glass (Transparent) As Part of Default Set of Smart Materials

Provide a Glass (Transparent) smart material as part of the smart materials that come standard with Substance Painter.

24 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Substance by Adobe
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

planned  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Normal-map/Height-map hardsurface edges generation.

Select edges of a low-poly mesh and turn them hard or smooth withing substance painter and generate a normal map/height map for it. Adjust how smooth or hard an edge can be.

Basically no more high poly modeling for nice edges.
    I know its a bit of an crazy idea, but thought i should throw it out here.

24 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Show selected layer only / Isolate select

Like in Photoshop when You hit Alt and Click on a single layer and it only shows You the selected layer / Isolated View

24 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. environment variable support

Trying to set up environments for Painter in film studios is currently a laborious process.

Allowing us to set environment variables which point to project specific shelves and plugins, defined by our virtual environment, would be a huge benefit to the film industry.

23 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add ability to create/edit channel across all texture sets

Currently if you need to add a new channel (i.e. user0) to an asset that has multiple textures sets (UDIMs), you need to click through each texture set and add the user0 channel manually. This is also true if you want to change the data type of a channel (i.e. change my user0 from 32 bit to 16 bit)

Could we add the ability to create a new channel across all texture sets simultaneously? This could be the same as the Instantiate Across Texture Sets gui.

Thanks,
    Chris

21 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Open Subdiv or similar solution for viewport smooth preview

Hi Allegorithmic Dev team, it would be great to have a smooth preview option like Maya's 'numeric 3' smooth preview. it would be great to view what our final output might look like. [without textuing in an actual hi-poly model] [would be great for hard surface artists]

21 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Toggle Wireframe Keyboard Shortcut

First off, thanks for implementing wireframe mode while painting.

I use maximized viewport mode for painting. Sometimes I'd like to follow the topology better with my brush, so I use wireframe overlay.

It would give me better workflow if the overlay could be toggled with a keyboard shortcut, instead of exiting the maximized mode, wait for the menus to redraw, navigate to Viewer Settings, scroll down and toggle wireframe, then going back to maximized mode.

20 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Headlight from camera

Sometimes you're not able to see your model well because of lighting, for example from bottom. Or you should rotate panorama each time you change your view. It's tiresome.
    What if we had a headlight option to see our material behavior independently of our view position. Or maybe panorama rotation linked to camera's -the same effect.

19 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Bottom Light

Something I often run in to when I'm texturing characters in Painter is that it's really hard to get enough light on the bottoms of feet and the palms of hands (in a t-pose), because the only lighting available is environment lighting, and the ground in all of the environment captures acts like a light occluder. An optional "bottom light" with some basic functions like intensity and color would be welcome.

19 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Multiple cage mesh

It's great being able to bake using the "By Mesh Name" feature and using the high and low poly suffix to do this. But would be ideal if we could extend this to an fbx with cages as well, could be "_cage" by default say...

Say if I have a mesh split into different parts, high and low poly, each low poly part is using different normal smoothing groups and uv layouts. Sometimes it is necessary to use a cage file to limit artefacts in the normal map. However I can not specify a cage per part in my low…

19 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. To be able to store baked maps on disk (not inside the substance file)

I'm working on a asset that has almost 40 udims. When I bake the utility maps needed for all those udims (some needing 8k) my file size increases to 20GB+ because all the maps are stored in the substance file.

I'd suggest an option in the preferences where one could choose a seperate location for those maps so every substance (and autosave) doesn't have to be so large.

This would save time on saves and autosaves (right now it's taking 3+ minutes on a 20+ GB file) and would also make me save the file more often, which reduces time…

18 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Add ability to "Save Render" fuctionality to main viewport, similar to Iray window

When doing an Iray render, you can "Override Viewport Resolution" and save your render to a file.

I want to be able to do the same thing in the standard 3D "painting" viewport.

Substance Paint is capable of making very nice renders, even without using Iray, and this would help us make better use of that.

It sure would be nice to be able to make a 1920x1080 (or 2k or 4k) image and save it to a file using my standard Substance Painter window, without relying on Iray. That would be much better than resorting to screen grabs.

18 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Ability to draw your custom normals from zero. Just like in ndo.

In ndo you may draw your custom normals by brush or by selection area in photoshop, then you may customise results: padding, contrast, etc.
    Save them as your custom normals in hard surface dirrectory with automaticaly generated channels of ao, curv, etc.
    2. There is no padding when you export layers in photoshop.Customisable padding needed that will be applied for every layer in channel (for example diffuse).
    3. Import from photoshop. I can export project in photoshop but I cant return it anyway.

17 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Ability to draw straight lines more like photoshop so you can move back and forwards

I like the straight line function currently in substance painter but would love the addition of a more Photoshop like approach so you can move back and forwards on the line of choice, not just make a mark using 2 clicks.

So more a paint movement constraint type line drawing, less drag snap

16 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Quickly rotate the view with the numpad like in Blender

Just like in Blender:

Numpad1 = front view
    Numpad 3 = side view
    Numpad 7 = top view
    Numpad 5 = toggle orthographic/perspective
    Numpad8/2 = orbit 15° up/down
    Numpad 4/6 = orbit 15° left/right
    Numpad . (dot) = center view on object (like the F key)

Holding the Ctrl key while hitting a numpad key should have the opposite effect (bottom instead of top, right instead of left, back instead of front).

This is an extremely fast, efficient, and intuitive workflow for navigating the scene and adding it to the Substance products would be super helpful for both Blender users…

16 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Save all brush movement in uv(2d) space only! And possibility to move geometry.

When I paint something in 3d view Painter save it in 3d space as projection.
    When I paint something in uv(2d) view Painter save it in uv space. It looks weird as result. For example I want to rotate some part of geometry - visor on the helmet. I rotate visor and reload obj in project. All brush movement in uv view is save, but all brush movement in 3d view looks terrible, because visor now has diffrent position. When saving in 3d space can be more useful then in uv space? I think never. I think Painter need to…

15 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Backface cull option and shortcut when selecting area to mask

Unless I missed it (I also double checked for topics about it on the internet), there is no way to control backface selection, which would be extremely useful mais selecting a mask area for exemple. Right now when I select polys for my mask, it also select the face that are on the other side of the mesh....I'd really like a button / option / shortcut to activate / deactivate backface culling on selection, as in 3Ds max / Zbrush. Thanks !

14 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Edit a baked map in a new tab

Edit a baked map in a new tab, like smart layer in photoshop! So we can correct it and make change in easy way.

To going further, I see this: Each baked map will be a small project with one channel that you can tweak and work on it. When you redo a baking of this map it will ask you if you prefer to create a new layer on the top with the new one or overwrite all.

14 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Adding the ability to TAB between values

Clicking on the numeric value instead of the pencil icon and the tabbing through the parameter list to enter discrete values.

14 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Select face loop option on the Fill Mode

It would be SUPER HANDY if there was an option to select face loops on the Fill Mode to create mask along the loops very quickly. Besides, it could have the option to grow the selection to make it even better.

13 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Substance Painter

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base