Substance Painter

Let us know how to improve Substance Painter!
Some guidelines before posting:
- This place is dedicated to feature requests and/new ideas suggestions. It is not made for bug reports (you can use the forum or the bug reporters for this).
- Before to create a new ticket, make sure your idea hadn’t been suggested before (if so it’s better to upvote it)
- 1 post = 1 idea

Thanks

1. blending modes for brush.

blending modes for brush. Multiply, Screen, Overlay etc. It would be cool to have this feature.

11 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Substance by Adobe
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Install multiple version of Substance Painter through Substance Launcher

In Unreal you can install multiple versions of Unreal Engine. I would like the same function for Substance Launcher. The reason for this is many of us for sure works with difference clients. More often than not they have preference as to which version of SP to use. So having to install different version and build will give us flexibility.

10 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Outliner / Isolate specific parts of the object

It would be great if we could have something similar to Maya's outliner so that we could select and isolate specific geometries that are in the same texture set.

10 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Have a minimum brush size

Similar to Photoshop - have the ability to set the minimum brush size as a percentage of the full brush size.

Example: sometimes I am trying to spray on some dirt using pressure-sensitive brush size, but end up drawing what looks like a pencil line instead - I didn't mean the brush to be THAT small!

10 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. DragRect functionality for brus1he

It would be great to have DragRect-like functionality from zbrush in Painter.
    The feature I am desribing allows to drop texture/brush/alpha in a specific location and while still holding the LMB rotate it and change its scale for precision placing.

It would be perfect for decals/custom alphas.

Below is a link to zbrush doc page explaining this well known feature
    (doc link : http://docs.pixologic.com/user-guide/3d-modeling/sculpting/sculpting-brushes/strokes/ )

10 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Separate (multiple) 2D / 3D viewports

The idea was coined by user Retry on the forum here:

https://forum.substance3d.com/index.php/topic,30094.0

The request is to faciltate the ability to check the work immediately on a different screen with a different camera. The most obvious example is being able to paint in the 2D view (UV view) and seeing the 3D view update; preferably on different monitors as well. As Retry's example outlines, painting on the Cintiq and seeing 3D viewport updates on the second monitor.

An example from Mari, it allows you to view your work simultaneously from different angles practically immediately after "baking" the paint strokes. This makes…

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Please allow for an option to set the texture size for all UDIMs at once

Right now, if I have a scene with around 10-12 UDIMs, I have to go into each and manually increase/decrease the texture size which affects the performance in a huge way.

Can we please have a button which lets us select a texture size (eg 512) and apply it across all the UDIMs.

Thanks!

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Opacity controlled by Pen Pressure

Since the original idea was erroneously marked as "completed", I'll post this here in more detail.
    We need to have the ability to control the opacity setting through pen pressure. The 2.5 documentation claims that setting flow to pen pressure will give the same result, but this is not true.
    Strokes are still additive when set this way. Running a single stroke back over itself with the same pressure should not increase the amount of color added.
    We are currently hardly better off now than we were before 2.5 when hand painting textures.

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. pencil tools just like in photoshop

I have to back to use the old manual photoshop way to do the perfect pixel alignment and this is really slow us

the pic below create in photoshop

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Paint flow map (drives anisotropy for specular reflections).

Flow maps (also cold comb maps when used for in-game hair) are vector maps that are mainly used for animated shaders (flowing hot lava) or to drive the anisotropy effect of specular reflections for hairs.

Currently there is no perfect solution for painting flowmaps. Mari by far has the best implementation of a vector tool, but having to buy Mari just for this is not convenient.

Here is a video of how to "hack" paint a flow map using 2d painting software like photoshop, painshop pro or krita:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9KRnh3cROw

The shown technique is far away from perfect.

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Add more jitter options to brushes

I would love to see hue, saturation, and value jitter sliders in my brushes like Photoshop has:

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

backlog (low priority)  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Visual feedback for max frontal/rear distance in baking options

Tweaking the max frontal and rear distance in the baking options is like working in the dark, requiring endless adjustments.

It would be nice if you can see what you are doing. Perhaps a wireframe being drawn?

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Designer/Photoshop Style Overlay Layer Blending (sRGB)

By default, Painter's overlay layer blending mode uses linear computation. Having an option to use sRGB Overlay, like that found in Designer and Photoshop would be of great help to those of us trying to work on stylized textures in Painter due to the unique way it blends.

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

backlog  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Improve lazy brush GUI: like zbrush

The current lazy mouse cursor is a darker grey radial around the brush size. There has no lines or connections from the centre point Until the brush actually draws I'm left guessing where the brush will go.

Its difficult to guess where the brush will land at the edge of the circle

Please add a display option similar to the zbrush lazy mouse

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

backlog  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Make it easier to import substances from Substance designer into Substance painter

I recently purchased both Substance designer and Substance painter. I would have expected that it would be extremely easy to import your custom substances from Designer into Painter, but currently it's not. At least not for me. I can't find a solution in the manual or in the forums, and whenever I choose Import substance in Substance Painter, the imported substance does not appear like it does in Designer. The normal map is disabled, and the substance does not appear in the Materials section (which I expected), but instead in the Stencils and Textures section. Very confusing. If I enable…

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Tighter orbit and framing of solo textureSets parts

If you solo or work on a portion of an asset, the framing (F) of the bounding box will do so for the whole asset instead of the portion you want to focus on. This requires extra work in zooming into your area of interest. Example: Solo the head of a character to paint but the framing will do so for the bounding box of the entire character.

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. 9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Merging Texture Sets

Merge the Texture sets on the export.

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Live link with Photoshop

It would be great to have a live link between SP and PS. The export to PS is a great tool, but I need to come back again to SP and continue to paint my textures (and today it is not possible).

I only use other software to make my textures because I need this tool. Since Adobe is the new owner o SP, I would like to see an easier and better bridge between the two software.

Continue to make this great job, Substance's Team!

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Favorite items in Shelf

I would love the ability to right click on a brush or smart mat or alpha (anything in the shelf list) and add it as a "favorite". Maybe it could be outlined with gold trim or a little gold star or something that makes it stand out from the rest.

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Substance Painter

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base