Substance Painter

Let us know how to improve Substance Painter!
Some guidelines before posting:
- This place is dedicated to feature requests and/new ideas suggestions. It is not made for bug reports (you can use the forum or the bug reporters for this).
- Before to create a new ticket, make sure your idea hadn’t been suggested before (if so it’s better to upvote it)
- 1 post = 1 idea

Thanks

1. i would love to start working with substance painter but im hopelessly lost

my email is geniusthemaster@yahoo.com and

i cant seem to get started in substance painter.

i get lost in the sea of buttons.

i would like to import a mesh and paint upon the surface and make a skin for many peices of art but i dont know where to start, or end |o.o| .

if someone could upload a video of how to do all these steps in a short video i would appreciate it so much

1 vote
    Sign in Sign in with Substance by Adobe
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Substance Painter - must be able to create textures outside the 3D model. For example Open an empty image file in the program and create a

Substance Painter - must be able to create textures outside the 3D model. For example Open an empty image file in the program and create a texture in it using the filters built into the program.

The ability to create textures at the request of the artist a pixel in pixel conceived and not what happens.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add more language to the software

such Chinese
    It is earnestly hoped that

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Workflow Configurations

Every time I create a new project or export textures or some other things, I have to start from scratch to tell SP what and where.

I'd like to have my personal configuration files for specific types of projects and textures.

In the new projects option in the file menu, I'd like to create several standard configurations for importing a new project. I always want OpenGL for normal, I always want my textures downloaded to my standard "project" folder and I always want the texture configuration to be for Blender Cycles PBR (one I created), I always want transparency on…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. more votes

We need more votes!!!. I use SP every day now and there are LOT of various issues i want to vote on and cannot. I understand why the votes are limited, but couldn't they go up a few over time or something? ie - for subscription holders of more than 3 months or 6 months or a year add a vote or three. Just because you haven't moved on a suggestion yet Allegorithmic, does not mean that older suggestions are no longer valid. Why should I have to choose to unvote for a long standing item when something equally valid…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Can substance developers add a alpha channel?

Hi, i was wondering can substance developers add a alpha channel, for example, when using some of the alpha textures, like the pipe greebles when stamping them to a object mesh, the pipe greebles will look better if it had a alpha channel, then i can see just, the pipes and not the mesh. I have a video presentation, to show the example. thank you for time.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Rename "Add paint" modifiers.

I often end up adding several "Paint" layers to my masks and it would be so much easier if we could rename these. For example if I make dirt I do this in several paint layers. But now they are all called paint, which can be very confusing.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. horizontal vertical

Ability to draw constrained horizontal/vertical lines.

Straight lines is a great feature but if I don't get it perfectly straight, the results are obvious especially when working with lower resolution artwork.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Make it faster

This software is criminally slow! I'm just using regular brushes nothing procedural so why is it loading every stroke? None of this is happening to me in Mudbox and it's primary focus isn't on texturing. By the way this is happening on a studio PC so the specs aren't the issue.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Support Quadro M5000M

I've been unable to use Substance since purchasing my new MSI laptop equipped with a Quadro M5000M. With each new release I try it out hoping the card is supported and continue to be disappointed. I continue to update to the latest drivers and still no dice. Please help!!

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Update baked images on material slots

Im using the baked maps, normal/etc.. images in material slots on various layers, and I need to rebake those several times and everytime I have to go layer by layer updating them, even if they have exactly the same name as the previewsly baked textures, the old ones seem to be stored somehow just on the layers. Is there a way to update those automatically every time I do a new bake? Or at least have a way to choose if you want for some reason to store or not, the old ones.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Improve tablets support

A suggestion. Could improve the use of the tablet in Substance Painter. I have to stay between the mouse and the stylus to do some actions. Keyboard shortcuts are not fully customized.

You could make presets
    - ZBrush
    - Photoshop

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Substance Painter software stability and UI usability

so i created this to see how many people prioritize that over adding new features in SP...people cant normally work being constantly scared to lose all their work and it makes it impossible to work on a big asset, because adding a lot of layers makes SP even more unstable...
    so if you re more concerned not to lose your work instead of having new features, I need your vote!

thank you!

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Convert fill layer to paint layer

It would be really helpful to be able to add an image into a fill layer and then convert that into a paint layer.

For cleaning up AO as an example, doing this and then using smudge to neaten up issues would be really nifty.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Education license

It would be really nice to have an educational license because it is an expensive program that I some would not use to gain profit. When looking at the License Agreement it said if you make under $100k profit you should use the Indie but if you make no profit from it it isn't worth it. As a student(Highschool) I cannot afford a program like this but would really enjoy to practice using a program like this for post-college. But my main point is I think it would good work with the program for a non-profit use for people who…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. An indicator on layers so its clear that mask has association ( ie generators, fills )

Perhaps some way to color code masks that have associated generators, fills, etc. Since they do not show up unless the mask is selected.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. 1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Auto create masks from materials and remove all materials assigned to mesh

It's seems compositing texture sets into one is incredibly long winded, I spend more time making masks than painting the model.

In order to do it efficiently masks need to be created for each material on a model/mesh. Once the masks are created then the model needs to be edited again to remove the multiple materials and so to only have a single material. At which point you can then load the model into SP and start using your masks. Now after you done all this if you make a slight mistake the process is repeated again. It sucks, andI…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. interactive brush radius change with R+lmb.

This would allow us to more quickly change the radius than holding a single hotkey until we got to the radius we want. often times when painting we want to change our radius quickly and interactively using just one hotkey. this would allow it.

currently the photoshop key is way too far out in the distance from home base ( wasd, shift, control alt ). there is a bit too much keyboard dancing going around.

Lets make painter as intuitive as possible!. Better yet, add this and a shortcut editor. This way if someone wants to use B+lmb like in…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Substance Painter

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base