Substance Painter

Let us know how to improve Substance Painter!
Some guidelines before posting:
- This place is dedicated to feature requests and/new ideas suggestions. It is not made for bug reports (you can use the forum or the bug reporters for this).
- Before to create a new ticket, make sure your idea hadn’t been suggested before (if so it’s better to upvote it)
- 1 post = 1 idea

Thanks

1. numeric input and Wacom

The way you handle the numeric input is very annoying. If I click into a numeric input field it will loose focus when I move my fingers( and the pen) to type in the numbers. Please change this behaviour- it's driving me nuts.

1 vote
    Sign in Sign in with Substance by Adobe
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Plugin to Export layers to GIMP like the the photoshop one

Simply put, it would be nice to have the option to export out to GIMP instead of photoshop.

Not every has photoshop, and GIMP is free.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. thumbnail in udims ..what is this icon thing ..its confusing

can you please bring back thumbnail in udims ..what is this icon thing ..its confusing.This has to be the stupidest update

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. It seems as though the live interactive view has become more flat.

Even with roughness set to zero it doesn't seem to show in the display as highly specular. You basically have to go into iray to get a feel for how reflective the material is. I feel like painter didn't used to be like this. Maybe I am wrong, but I feel like it used to display more accurately.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Merging Texture Sets

Merge the Texture sets on the export.

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Combine PNG's when exporting final textures

I noticed that the workflow is much smoother when I segment parts of the model in advance to be their own unique layers.

Yet, I have no feature to combine the resulted PNG, because each area of the mesh itself still belongs to the same UV map.

I want an option that'll allow me to combine PNG'S, when they combine in this manner:
    On each resulting image, the area external to the seen parts on the model are considered as "0", blank
    And the areas seen on the model are considered as "1", filled with information.
    When combining the PNG'S…

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Set UDIM setting per material

Currently with one project the user has to decide if using UDIM for the whole project or not at all. The proposal would be that the decision for using UDIM is set per material (or better: default to all materials, but allow for deselecting single materials).

Use case: I've got a Low-Poly tank where I need UDIM to work on the tank itself, but the tracks have a separate material and UVs that span across multiple UV spaces (because the texture set in 1001 is then repeated over the whole mesh without me needing to cut up the track mesh.…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Save the Shelf thumbnail size UI settings (Small, Medium, Large)

Can we save the preference for shelf thumb size (top right of the shelf UI)

I have a lot of materials and a high resolution monitor. I cant differentiate between my materials/brushes etc without changing the thumbnail setting to "Large."
    I have to do this every time I open Painter as it's not saved.
    hanks!

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. MULTIPLE UV CHANNELS in SP

Please add the ability to select the desired UV channel in the substance painter. This is very necessary for painting masks, for mixing materials.
    For example: There are two materials, they have the second UV channel selected, and blend them through the mask that is drawn on the first UV channel.
    I beg you to add such a possibility, it is very necessary.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Hide selected object or Tile using a shortcut

It would be nice to have a way to set a shortcut to hide and show a selected object or UVTile.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Hotkeys for Shelf

I'd like Hotkeys assigned to the different tabs in the shelf. One for Brushes, Alphas, Materials, Smart Materials, Smart masks.. whatever. And I'd like it to also be a pop-up window in the middle of the viewport, much like the right-click pops up the Painting window.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Dragging a texture into Layer panel would automatically create a Fill Layer

Dragging a texture into Layer panel would automatically create a Fill Layer with said texture.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Is it possible to implement support for stylus rotation?

Controlling the rotation of brush alphas using the Wacom Artpen or other styluses that detect barrel rotation.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Visualize Bake Settings with Rays pointing in and out of Surface

It would be nice to visualize the settings in real time by producing rays that extrude from each vertex (or a portion of them when dealing with large vertex count, or even just a few you can personally select on the surface) along the surface of the object. It would also make the settings and normalization parameters easy to get an intuitive feel for if they were projected out of the surface using simple lines to display min max distance (etc...). Yes, some of these values are incredibly low and probably beyond what can be consistently rendered with floating point…

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Paint across Texture Sets

To be able to paint across UV's on different Texture Sets.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. If a paint layer exists in the mask stack, painting on the main mask should be disabled.

or better yet, the only way to paint in a mask should be on a layer. So many times I've unintentionally painted in the main mask layer only to have to go back a erase all my strokes manually since "clear mask" removes the entire stack. There should be at the very least an option to only clear the main mask layer and leave the stack intact.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Use Photoshop style color picker!

One of the few serious peeves I have with Painter that has NOT changed over the years is the useless color picker. You are part of Adobe now, get the photoshop color picker in there already! It would be nice to be able to put in colors by their web id or to be able to copy and paste a color value from photoshop rather than trying to get exactly the color you want with the dropper. This feature needs improvement, please!!!!

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Access to output settings for GLTF export

Its an amazing feature to be able to export to GLTF and for the .GLB file to be generated.. but it is endlessy frustrating that the texture output settings can not be accessed.. It seems like it would be easy and within the philosophy of the software, to let us pick which maps and set the resolution and file type for what gets packed into the .GLB file..

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Default starting layer

Most users that I know delete the basic layer on their objects and then start with a fill layer.

Can we make a fill layer as the default starting layer or a fill layer with a paint effect already applied?

Maybe have a option in the preferences to start with either a Paint or a Fill layer as the default starting layer as a option

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. The Magic Wand

Would really love to see The Magic Wand from Photoshop make its way to Substance Painter. Imagine being able to have a paint layer with multiple colour values and Magic Wand the areas of interest.

Then create a mask and mask that on the layer. Super evident if you're making tileable texture sheets or even trim, better yet have it in a high to low bake pipeline. Now that would be heaven. 

I've added an example image of what would be a handy tool in the 2D layout with painting directly to the UV map, along with a workflow that…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Substance Painter

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base