Substance Painter

Let us know how to improve Substance Painter!
Some guidelines before posting:
- This place is dedicated to feature requests and/new ideas suggestions. It is not made for bug reports (you can use the forum or the bug reporters for this).
- Before to create a new ticket, make sure your idea hadn’t been suggested before (if so it’s better to upvote it)
- 1 post = 1 idea

Thanks

1. Use Photoshop style color picker!

One of the few serious peeves I have with Painter that has NOT changed over the years is the useless color picker. You are part of Adobe now, get the photoshop color picker in there already! It would be nice to be able to put in colors by their web id or to be able to copy and paste a color value from photoshop rather than trying to get exactly the color you want with the dropper. This feature needs improvement, please!!!!

3 votes
    Sign in Sign in with All Right Reserved
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Ability to import UDIM textures and automatically apply them on UDIM tiles inside Substance Painter

Many times I am taking over an asset which is done in Mari and has the maps already exported. If the asset has a lot of UDIM tiles, its difficult to go in one by one and import the UDIM tiles and apply them on each UDIM texture set in Substance Painter.

Can we please have an automated system where I can point SP to a folder, it matches the textures in the folder to the texture sets in my SP project and imports all of those textures and applies them to my mesh?

Thankyou!

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Dynamic Scaleable User Interface

In the included image one can easily see the large discrepancy between the font size on the desktop and Substance Painter. The screen resolution is set to 3840 x 2160 and the desktop has been zoomed by 25%. It appears to me that either the underlying UI components are a bit dated or just do not consider the higher display resolutions that are available today. Even though I am using a 43" monitor I need to be no more than 12" away to be able to read anything. I should add that I am in my 60's so that has…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Copy paste / Drag and drop sub layers and mask layers.

We can already reorder sub layers... However, being able to copy and paste any sub layers/mask layers (filters, fills, levels) is kind of missing. Also, being able to drag and drop them from one layer (or mask layer) to another would be nice.

31 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. bake curvature from mesh

Right now the curvature is generated from the Normal Map which leaves artefacts and gaps. Since a lot of smart materials are driven by curvature maps, curvature from mesh would be a crucial addition to painter's bakers.

23 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Allow typing into text and numerical fields while NOT hovering over them.

For some reason you are not able to type into a field unless you are hovering over it. This even extends to the python console. Why on earth is this a thing? I don't know of any other program that would do this and its honestly frustrating and unhelpful.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Have a channel view mode of Basecolor + Alpha combined

Right now we have channel views for Basecolour, Roughness, Normal, Mask, AO etc. But it would be great to have one for Basecolour+Alpha, be it alpha-blended or clip.

It would make hand painted workflows much better in Painter.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Save UI settings

This is one of the things I dont get in SP, the Ui (Window sizes) resets everytime I start a new project, we need either a preset or some sort of a system to keep the UI elements positions after restart of SP.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Proper gradient tool for easy workflow

For example, I can't texture my character in Substance Painter that way - nor Substance nor Unreal Engine support this! The only option - bake maps inside Blender!

What I mean, is that I just can't do smooth gradients with 4-5 colors, which have different positions, and especially if I want to place gradients precisely around model, or lots of gradients with masks, but with lots of transitions (visible-not visible-visible etc - on ONE mask).

Also, It's not a user-friendly to position gradient based on "Position" map. It often gives me wrong direction of gradient or is generally slow to…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. AdobeRGB support (not only sRGB)

Hi there,
    all cameras can deliver a rich RGB format like AdobeRGB.
    In Substance we can currently only assign sRGB, which is a very small limited color space.
    It should be by default possible to assign OTHER COLOR PROFILES (like it is in Photoshop possible)
    – at least ADOBE RGB – instead having the extra work to convert to the small sRGB and loosing quality.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Sync Source with Shelf

It would be a great feature to be able to sync one's shelf library with owned materials in the Source. Having just upgraded pcs and forgot to back my library up (opps) I find myself wishing I could just poke a button to get all my Source materials into my shelf without having to go identify each one and poke it to download. This would be a great way to get any updates to existing materials as well. It would probably be more efficient as well since it could be hitting your servers at whatever speed is optimal to not…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Ghost view of high poly object over scene

There are many reasons the high poly mesh sometimes don't superimpose position or scale of the low poly and seeing them both over each other would help a lot. Even a numeric mismatch warning like: "high-poly object size mismatch 55%" would help.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. decal mirroring. symmetrical planar projections

The issue ....
    Placing decals on vehicles is a pain because we have to do it twice. If i place a decal on a wing I want it automatically placed on the opposite wing as well. While i can projection paint with symmetry, I can't use the decal tool with symmetry

The solution
    Add the option for symmetrical planar projections. With this feature any planar projection is automatically duplicated and mirrored across the centerline . included should be an option to flip the UVs on the symmetrical projection to fix mirrored text.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. how about putting the menu items (e.g. file/new project) at the top of your Substance launcher so like I could actually use it?

Substance does not work. Period. I was told to get it but all I see is tutorials and your magazine.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. change back the texture export menus.

the older menus were better before 2020.1(6.10)

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Transfer Maps for new UVs

Until the time of writing we can't preserve the strokes position with imported maps so if we change the UVs of the mesh the imported maps won't follow but If somehow we could use Projection menu to project the baked map such as Albedo using the 2D view of painter to project them directly on UVs then we can change the mesh UVs and import the mesh again and this time (preserve strokes positions on mesh) works perfectly fine. That's it we transfers map without any artifact and hard work which nowadays workflows such as maya transfer maps have.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. 1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. I would like to select geometry from the viewer and have all its properties pop up on the right hand side.

I would like to click/ select geometry from the viewer and have all its properties pop up on the right hand side. This would be much faster than going through the texture set list to try to find an object/ shader. The other way is to drop an irrelevant shader on an object to get its properties and then delete it in order to edit the existing properties/layers.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Smoothing inside of Substance Painter

It can get annoying having to smooth your objects before importing into Substance so a smoothing option inside of Painter itself would be very helpful.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Auto reload textures,alpha,mask

Can Resource Updater doing automatically when input texture file changed externally?

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Substance Painter

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base