Substance Painter

Let us know how to improve Substance Painter!
Some guidelines before posting:
- This place is dedicated to feature requests and/new ideas suggestions. It is not made for bug reports (you can use the forum or the bug reporters for this).
- Before to create a new ticket, make sure your idea hadn’t been suggested before (if so it’s better to upvote it)
- 1 post = 1 idea

Thanks

1. Hide Selected geometry

for we can select and hide parts of geometry

237 votes
    Sign in Sign in with: Substance by Adobe
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

started  ·  35 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Export screen to PSD

Capture and export the screen (either at screen resolution, or higher) to Photoshop for editing. Mudbox has this feature, and aside from being useful for projection painting (since you use Photoshop's entire tool set, such as its warping tools ), it's an easy way to fix seams. The affected area is captured, then cleaned up in PS using the heal brush or clone stamp. Once the document is saved, Mudbox re-projects. I'd even settle for this working in just the solo view modes. Here's Mudbox as an example : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxoGn1qPhYA Thanks for reading.

12 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Support exporting as 24bit .tga (no alpha) with RLE compression

Like the title says. This would really help saving hard disk space. A lot of times we don't need the alpha channel, so 32 bit just bloats up the files. Smaller files would make both storage and uploading easier.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Copy image/layer/maps to Clipboard, open file location in explorer.

To quickly look at maps closer in Photoshop, quickly make changes to maps or masks.

In Unity, I can right+click the texture I want to edit, choose open file and it automatically opens photoshop, I can make a couple edits, hit Ctrl+S and then go ahead and check the changes in Unity.

I would love to have that ability with maps and images in Substance Painter

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. the middle button to scroll all windows. it is very necessary for the pen without wheels.

(sorry my English) Substance is not enough for the scrolling window to the middle mouse button (especially the pen without wheels). I really like the way scrolling is implemented in Blender. How it works: Place your cursor anywhere in the scrollable window and click the middle mouse button, you can then move the mouse / stylus up or down. You do not have to aim the scroll bar. This is very convenient especially if you work without a stylus wheel, it adds speed to use.

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. DragRect functionality for brus1he

It would be great to have DragRect-like functionality from zbrush in Painter.
    The feature I am desribing allows to drop texture/brush/alpha in a specific location and while still holding the LMB rotate it and change its scale for precision placing.

It would be perfect for decals/custom alphas.

Below is a link to zbrush doc page explaining this well known feature
    (doc link : http://docs.pixologic.com/user-guide/3d-modeling/sculpting/sculpting-brushes/strokes/ )

10 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Remember last Brush settings for each layer!

It would be very handy, if Substance Painter could remember the last brush settings for each layer. If you work on different paint layers and you are going back and forth, it takes a lot of time to change the brush settings for every layer over and over again.

Helpful would be, if there were an option that painter would remember the last brush settings (like alpha, mask, substance / color, height, metallic and roughness values). That would speed up the workflow between different layers.

Thanks!

53 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

backlog  ·  6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. copy/paste content between channels

One big attribute I miss from Mari, is their ability to copy/paste between channels. As it is now, if I lay down some texture in color, then later decide that I want it to inform the height, there's no way to do that without painting it all over again.

45 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Gradient map

I would love a gradient map tool, just like substance designers. It is so awesome, and the baseline for almost all stylized work. Could be an option for fill layers, perhaps?

67 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

backlog (low priority)  ·  11 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Quickly rotate the view with the numpad like in Blender

Just like in Blender:

Numpad1 = front view
    Numpad 3 = side view
    Numpad 7 = top view
    Numpad 5 = toggle orthographic/perspective
    Numpad8/2 = orbit 15° up/down
    Numpad 4/6 = orbit 15° left/right
    Numpad . (dot) = center view on object (like the F key)

Holding the Ctrl key while hitting a numpad key should have the opposite effect (bottom instead of top, right instead of left, back instead of front).

This is an extremely fast, efficient, and intuitive workflow for navigating the scene and adding it to the Substance products would be super helpful for both Blender users…

17 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Warp Tool ala Mari

...basically adding "Liquify" abilities to the already existing Projection Tool.

See video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGuiSuZAjoM

102 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  18 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Node system for layer composition

Node system for layer composition (the same node system of substance designer BUT for layer composition) for better visualization and keep more organized

11 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Add an option to orbit around the center of the viewport, not where the mouse is on the model

I'm used to Blender and the current scene navigation in Substance Painter feels like it's fighting back against me whenever I try to navigate the view. Blender works by having an imaginary point in the scene which is always in the center of the screen. Orbiting will orbit around that point, and panning moves that point in the scene. It's much easier to control like that and feels more natural for Blender users, so please add the option.

11 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Color wheel with other color modes

Similar to what MODO has for their color wheel. SO USEFUL to see complimentary colors, Analogous colors. you can really add a lot to your textures by seeing these colors defined.

http://blog.anastasiy.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Plate_smaller81.jpg

13 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

started  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. vmt/vtf/texture export option for valve source

It's a less popular engine which doesn't support PBR but a few tweaks to shader settings can get you pretty close.
    Currently I go into photoshop to tweak the exported specular texture and then combine normal and specular maps ( on normal map's alpha channel). Then finally save it out as a VMT.
    I'd love to press export and get the diffuse, normal/specular textures in .vtf format plus a vmt text file that reflects the tweaks to the shader inside Painter.
    Many thanks.

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Import photoshop ABR brush file and CSH file

Want use more brushes , need import photoshop brush and Custom Shapes, like in 3d-coat and body-paint.

55 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Edit a baked map in a new tab

Edit a baked map in a new tab, like smart layer in photoshop! So we can correct it and make change in easy way.

To going further, I see this: Each baked map will be a small project with one channel that you can tweak and work on it. When you redo a baking of this map it will ask you if you prefer to create a new layer on the top with the new one or overwrite all.

14 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. export to .sbsar

Ability to export/publish Painter textures to sbsar please.

64 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

backlog  ·  5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Show selected layer only / Isolate select

Like in Photoshop when You hit Alt and Click on a single layer and it only shows You the selected layer / Isolated View

29 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Improve lazy brush GUI: like zbrush

The current lazy mouse cursor is a darker grey radial around the brush size. There has no lines or connections from the centre point Until the brush actually draws I'm left guessing where the brush will go.

Its difficult to guess where the brush will land at the edge of the circle

Please add a display option similar to the zbrush lazy mouse

10 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

backlog  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Substance Painter

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base