Substance Painter

Let us know how to improve Substance Painter!
Some guidelines before posting:
- This place is dedicated to feature requests and/new ideas suggestions. It is not made for bug reports (you can use the forum or the bug reporters for this).
- Before to create a new ticket, make sure your idea hadn’t been suggested before (if so it’s better to upvote it)
- 1 post = 1 idea

Thanks

1. Proper gradient tool for easy workflow

For example, I can't texture my character in Substance Painter that way - nor Substance nor Unreal Engine support this! The only option - bake maps inside Blender!

What I mean, is that I just can't do smooth gradients with 4-5 colors, which have different positions, and especially if I want to place gradients precisely around model, or lots of gradients with masks, but with lots of transitions (visible-not visible-visible etc - on ONE mask).

Also, It's not a user-friendly to position gradient based on "Position" map. It often gives me wrong direction of gradient or is generally slow to…

2 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Substance by Adobe
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Fine-tune slider increments

Currently, we have shift+ moving the slider gives us control to 0.1 on the slider. Can we get Ctrl+Shift to get even finer control to 0.001

I find when placing repeated textures that need to be super exact location-wise, this gets a bit tedious.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Projection tool - the image should be scaled from where you click the mouse

1. It is very difficult to scale the photo in the "Projection" tool because the photo is scaled from the geometric center. The image should be scaled from where you click the mouse.

2. I don't like the fact that Lazy Mouse turns on all the tools. It should remain enabled only in the tools in which it was activated.

3. I do not like that in windows such as "Brushes", "Tools", "Materials" etc. after reopening they do not show the place where I left them. You need to rewind them again and look for the last used item.

4. I miss the option…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Custom background color for export padding

Allow to define a custom background color for exported textures with finite or no padding.
    At the moment we can only choose the default channel background color, which is not defined anywhere in the UI and also cannot be changed.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. The custom noise in Blur Slope

Add a filter: The custom noise in Blur Slope cannot be set to the type of mapping such as: Tri-planar, which is very inconvenient for UV alignment, and there are seams at the edges.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Object scale value for USDZ and glTF on export from Painter please

USDZ or glTF export sometimes got the wrong scale. It's a paint to rescale the base medel and get painter to redo the paint strokes on the rescaled model plus you need to rescale low and high lopy in order to be able to rebake again.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. decal mirroring. symmetrical planar projections

The issue ....
    Placing decals on vehicles is a pain because we have to do it twice. If i place a decal on a wing I want it automatically placed on the opposite wing as well. While i can projection paint with symmetry, I can't use the decal tool with symmetry

The solution
    Add the option for symmetrical planar projections. With this feature any planar projection is automatically duplicated and mirrored across the centerline . included should be an option to flip the UVs on the symmetrical projection to fix mirrored text.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Ability to import UDIM textures and automatically apply them on UDIM tiles inside Substance Painter

Many times I am taking over an asset which is done in Mari and has the maps already exported. If the asset has a lot of UDIM tiles, its difficult to go in one by one and import the UDIM tiles and apply them on each UDIM texture set in Substance Painter.

Can we please have an automated system where I can point SP to a folder, it matches the textures in the folder to the texture sets in my SP project and imports all of those textures and applies them to my mesh?

Thankyou!

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Ctrl+Click an area of UV map to auto focus layer

Like in Photoshop, if you Ctrl+click a small item within the image, you are taken to that specific layer.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Freeze a layer/group - Toggle

When working in music production, when there are a multitude of effects, the file gets hard to work with, so they created the ability to "freeze" any tracks that had all of these effects, so the app wasn't continuously having to process the effects if you were working around those areas. There is an option to unfreeze as needed to make it "live" again. Maybe this could be something like a dynamic merge or similar to a smart object in photoshop?

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Add Source rotation to Warp filter

At this moment Warp has few options in Source parameters. Source tiling is very useful but I'd like to have Source rotation as well.
    Because sometimes i use procedurals or grunges as my custom input an there is no way to rotate them, for example Crystal or Directional. As a workaround I use empty layer and i link its mask content to cutom warp noise as an Anchor.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Please enable Substance Painter to export AO with consideration of the converted normal map (eg. with ALL details)

It would be awesome if Substance Painter could use the painted normals to calculate AO map when exporting, and not only the baked mesh maps.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. More Baking Speed!

Please add ways to speed baking to best use high end computers with many cores Threadrippers/i9s and high ram. I upgraded from 4 cores to 24 and was a bit disappointed to find substance using only about 15% of my new horsepower. Yes the baking goes faster but it seems like it should be chugging harder/faster than it is. It would be good if there was a turbo mode that would blank the viewport and the feedback list (although i do love that feature) so that the baking can just go full out without doing any extraneous updating that could…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Marking-menu editor

I'd like customizeable Marking-Menu Editors [Like in Maya] where I can fill them with favorite brushes [or other things, cuz it should be customizeable]. Then I can just press a special combo [space + RClick], pick or swipe to my favorite brush, and boom.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Add unconstrained transform for Projected picture (like in Mari)

Moving your cursor over the picture's edge will allow to stretch the picture in/out/up/down. Sometimes UVs are slightly stretched and this would help a lot.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Keypad Layer Opacity

In Photoshop, I can select a layer and hit numbers on the number keypad to dictate opacity. It's a very fast workflow. Surprised Substance doesn't have this yet.

For instance:
    1 = 10% opacity
    2 = 20% opacity
    3 = 30% opacity
    15 (quickly typed) = 15%

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. bake curvature from mesh

Right now the curvature is generated from the Normal Map which leaves artefacts and gaps. Since a lot of smart materials are driven by curvature maps, curvature from mesh would be a crucial addition to painter's bakers.

26 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Transfer Maps for new UVs

Until the time of writing we can't preserve the strokes position with imported maps so if we change the UVs of the mesh the imported maps won't follow but If somehow we could use Projection menu to project the baked map such as Albedo using the 2D view of painter to project them directly on UVs then we can change the mesh UVs and import the mesh again and this time (preserve strokes positions on mesh) works perfectly fine. That's it we transfers map without any artifact and hard work which nowadays workflows such as maya transfer maps have.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Projection tool to/from external editor (Substance Painter)

Something that works similarly to the projection tool of Blender or the Zapplink tool of Zbrush: position the model the way you want and open the canvas in an external editor, whether it is Photoshop or anything else.

You can select the channel to be opened in the editor with the drop-down list in the upper right corner of the 3D view (Base Color, Roughness etc). Then whatever you painted in the editor will be projected on a regular layer (and on its corresponding channel) once you're back in Substance Painter.

I understand that Substance Painter has its own set…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Allow typing into text and numerical fields while NOT hovering over them.

For some reason you are not able to type into a field unless you are hovering over it. This even extends to the python console. Why on earth is this a thing? I don't know of any other program that would do this and its honestly frustrating and unhelpful.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Substance Painter

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base