Substance Painter

Let us know how to improve Substance Painter!
Some guidelines before posting:
- This place is dedicated to feature requests and/new ideas suggestions. It is not made for bug reports (you can use the forum or the bug reporters for this).
- Before to create a new ticket, make sure your idea hadn’t been suggested before (if so it’s better to upvote it)
- 1 post = 1 idea

Thanks

1. Make it faster

This software is criminally slow! I'm just using regular brushes nothing procedural so why is it loading every stroke? None of this is happening to me in Mudbox and it's primary focus isn't on texturing. By the way this is happening on a studio PC so the specs aren't the issue.

1 vote
    Sign in Sign in with All Right Reserved
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Be able to use the "down and up arrow key" to change the "blending mode" in "Layers Panel"

There are times where I'm looking for the right blending mode in the for a layer. I find it that you have to click the blending mode button every time, rather than just using the down or up arrow keys.

Doing this will save uneccessary clicks.

51 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Mask Generators that access the Layer Stack

It would be cool to create mask generators based on Height, Curvature, etc. But not just from the baked maps but from everything including whats in the layer stack. It's a hassle to have to export the combined layer stack and reimport it in order to do this. I understand this can be achieved with layer effects, but mask generators are a more efficient way to blend materials (or Smart Materials).

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 8k bakers

The new 8k export option is great but the backers have a maximum of 4k so in order to make the transfer from high res mesh to low res mesh at 8k we must use another software. I believe 8k backers would be a huge improvement especially for VFX artists.

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Be able to create you own "shelf"

Be able to create you own "shelf"

Imported textures are default to show in the "texture Shelf".
    But I feel that is disorganized and difficult to look for the texture

I think we should have and option to import them to a new shelf or an existing shelf it its something that can be used in other project.

25 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Rename texture sets or re-link if renamed in Maya

I rely on texture set names as a string when I output my texture maps. This is important as a working pipeline to have everything named correctly and export easily. Right now if I want to change "Cat1blue" to "Catblue1" I will have to re-export a fbx with both material, copy and paste in painter (which sometimes mess layers up), export a fbx with just new material just to get rid of old material in Painter. And while it kinda work, I am still forever stuck with an error message in the Log that says I…

22 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Support For Non Square Stencil Textures

The current tool stretches/squishes any non square texture used as a stencil back into a square for projection.

Please allow for non square textures.

27 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Instanced Layers, Masks, Effects, etc. for INSTANCED SMART MATERIALS

Sometimes for a UDIM Workaround, multiple texture sets have identical fill layers, smart materials, masks or effects. For better iteration, it would be great to ALSO have the ability to INSTANCE instead of JUST COPYING. For instance, I would love to be able to change parameters of a single fill layer, generator or effects and have them automatically be exactly the same in all other texture sets where I instanced that fill layer, generator or effects. This would be great for all elements that compose the layer stack. So that we can have INSTANCED SMART MATERIALS for FAST ITERATION.

42 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Ability to have layers affect inputs used by Substance effects

Let's say you want to add additional details to the height and ao maps inside of Substance Painter that was not originally baked out from a model... and then apply a substance effect such as edge wear or mask builder. Unfortunately, anything that's added in the layer stack doesn't contribute to said effects and instead only uses just the baked maps.

It would be very nice if it was possible to utilize such details such as taking the height map at a certain point in the layer stack, generate ambient occlusion and curvature from it, blend it into the baked…

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Symmetry center based on object pivot point.

The symmetry system don't work properly when I'm using multiple meshs to bake each part separately. When I am exporting all separate objects together, the Substance Painter create a bounding box covering all objects, but it would be better if the symmetry center was based on a pivot point from one of the separated objects (having the ability to choose which object).

90 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Command Line Template & NM Format

I use the command line to quickly open the correct models and baked textures from an external application.
    I also need to be able to set the template and normal map format from the command line.

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. import alembic files

Ability to import all or geo from an Alembic file.

12 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Update baked images on material slots

Im using the baked maps, normal/etc.. images in material slots on various layers, and I need to rebake those several times and everytime I have to go layer by layer updating them, even if they have exactly the same name as the previewsly baked textures, the old ones seem to be stored somehow just on the layers. Is there a way to update those automatically every time I do a new bake? Or at least have a way to choose if you want for some reason to store or not, the old ones.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. A special layer for adding normal details that affect Smart Masks/Materials.

Would be awesome if one could paint normal info on a special layer that then would be added to the normal channel, and thus would affect all the smart masks and materials.

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Additional Map Shortcut

Add an additional map shortcut so we can see and swap quickly bettween baked map to watch if all is ok.

c = Channel
    m = Material
    a = Additional map ?

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Improve tablets support

A suggestion. Could improve the use of the tablet in Substance Painter. I have to stay between the mouse and the stylus to do some actions. Keyboard shortcuts are not fully customized.

You could make presets
    - ZBrush
    - Photoshop

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. 8K Texture export option.

I would like to make a feature request for Substance Painter: I would really like an option to export in 8K. You do not even have to be able to work in 8K as long as there is the option to let the textures re-generate to 8K. Of course Substance painter should then also recognize 8K base maps.

It could even be a hidden option that you manually have to turn on in the settings menu. Maybe with a warning that it could be slow and only works on Video cards with more than 3GB of ram. (I have 6GB…

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Camera Support

FBX camera support or the option to create and save cameras in Painter directly. The cameras are saved in the SPP file and provide reliable, repeatable results that can be directly compared for faster iteration and client review. Even final PR renders in some cases.

When multiple cameras are active in a scene the Iray renderer could offer a batch mode for unattended rendering of all active cameras.

Animation: Most of us here don’t need a timeline but turntable functionality with the options to either rotate the mesh or rotate a camera around a freely placeable null object would be…

10 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Hight DPI Settings. They are not?

Wtf? Why does the application order form not point - address so I can get a magnifying glass on the mail.
    Seriously, why not support high resolutions?

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Hotkey for brush rotation

it will be great for faster work

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →