Substance Painter

Let us know how to improve Substance Painter!
Some guidelines before posting:
- This place is dedicated to feature requests and/new ideas suggestions. It is not made for bug reports (you can use the forum or the bug reporters for this).
- Before to create a new ticket, make sure your idea hadn’t been suggested before (if so it’s better to upvote it)
- 1 post = 1 idea

Thanks

1. Projection tool to/from external editor (Substance Painter)

Something that works similarly to the projection tool of Blender or the Zapplink tool of Zbrush: position the model the way you want and open the canvas in an external editor, whether it is Photoshop or anything else.

You can select the channel to be opened in the editor with the drop-down list in the upper right corner of the 3D view (Base Color, Roughness etc). Then whatever you painted in the editor will be projected on a regular layer (and on its corresponding channel) once you're back in Substance Painter.

I understand that Substance Painter has its own set…

1 vote
    Sign in Sign in with Substance by Adobe
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow typing into text and numerical fields while NOT hovering over them.

For some reason you are not able to type into a field unless you are hovering over it. This even extends to the python console. Why on earth is this a thing? I don't know of any other program that would do this and its honestly frustrating and unhelpful.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Auto reload textures,alpha,mask

Can Resource Updater doing automatically when input texture file changed externally?

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Have a channel view mode of Basecolor + Alpha combined

Right now we have channel views for Basecolour, Roughness, Normal, Mask, AO etc. But it would be great to have one for Basecolour+Alpha, be it alpha-blended or clip.

It would make hand painted workflows much better in Painter.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Save UI settings

This is one of the things I dont get in SP, the Ui (Window sizes) resets everytime I start a new project, we need either a preset or some sort of a system to keep the UI elements positions after restart of SP.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Live link with Photoshop

It would be great to have a live link between SP and PS. The export to PS is a great tool, but I need to come back again to SP and continue to paint my textures (and today it is not possible).

I only use other software to make my textures because I need this tool. Since Adobe is the new owner o SP, I would like to see an easier and better bridge between the two software.

Continue to make this great job, Substance's Team!

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. AdobeRGB support (not only sRGB)

Hi there,
    all cameras can deliver a rich RGB format like AdobeRGB.
    In Substance we can currently only assign sRGB, which is a very small limited color space.
    It should be by default possible to assign OTHER COLOR PROFILES (like it is in Photoshop possible)
    – at least ADOBE RGB – instead having the extra work to convert to the small sRGB and loosing quality.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Sync Source with Shelf

It would be a great feature to be able to sync one's shelf library with owned materials in the Source. Having just upgraded pcs and forgot to back my library up (opps) I find myself wishing I could just poke a button to get all my Source materials into my shelf without having to go identify each one and poke it to download. This would be a great way to get any updates to existing materials as well. It would probably be more efficient as well since it could be hitting your servers at whatever speed is optimal to not…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Ghost view of high poly object over scene

There are many reasons the high poly mesh sometimes don't superimpose position or scale of the low poly and seeing them both over each other would help a lot. Even a numeric mismatch warning like: "high-poly object size mismatch 55%" would help.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Subscription payment issues in mainland China

Hello, I want to pay for the Substance Painter subscription. Unfortunately, I did n’t find any mainland bank or credit card in the payment subscription version, only Hong Kong. Whether it will be followed by anti-payment. I mainly want to use Substance source.
    Does the steam version support the use of Substance source?

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. change back the texture export menus.

the older menus were better before 2020.1(6.10)

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. I would like to select geometry from the viewer and have all its properties pop up on the right hand side.

I would like to click/ select geometry from the viewer and have all its properties pop up on the right hand side. This would be much faster than going through the texture set list to try to find an object/ shader. The other way is to drop an irrelevant shader on an object to get its properties and then delete it in order to edit the existing properties/layers.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Smoothing inside of Substance Painter

It can get annoying having to smooth your objects before importing into Substance so a smoothing option inside of Painter itself would be very helpful.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Script for automatic ID masks

Once I have loaded a mesh into SP with a lot of ID maps and baked them out, I have to go through and manually make masks for all of them. I can't see a way of automating this process.

It would be good to have a feature that automatically went through your mesh to make a folder for every ID map and add a mask on it, so you can get going straight away.

It's possible to target the ID maps by CTRL dropping a material on, but this is not always what you want and still requires a…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Quixel Megascans

Please, add more easy procedure for import materials from Quixel Megascans

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Please put scrolling feature into the exporter

Hey so i tried to export the textures for my model, however i cant see the options to save or export my textures as they are off screen, and when i go to shrink the window it just immediately jumps off screen and i cant get it back

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Detect already open project and update mesh instead of opening a new instance of SP

A user "MrPositivity" of my Blender addon recently requested " Right now if I try to re-export from blender to SP, It will open new Substance Painter, can it be made to detect if SP is open and if it is you just Export mesh and update already opened SP?" I too would like this feature and other addons/integrations could also take advantage of this. https://github.com/DigiKrafting/blenderaddonsubstance_painter/issues/11

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Substance Painter Global export settings

Let us set bit depth for each channel across texture sets.

Base colour usually only needs 8bits per channel, same for metallic or roughness.
    Whereas 16 bits is needed for normals or height maps.

So it would be more convenient to be able to set 8 or 16 or 32 bits across texture set channels instead of just across all texture sets.

UPDATE Infact, it would be helpful to be able to set resolution across texture set channels as well. Again you might not need high resolutions for metallic maps or any custom mask channels you created.

Kind Regards!

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Addressing FBX-SDK Vulnerabilities

About 2 weeks ago, Autodesk has announced a vulnerability in the FBX SDK. https://www.autodesk.com/trust/security-advisories/adsk-sa-2020-0002

Are Substance products planning to patch these? Thanks.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. positive feedback re: new export features

just wanted to pop by and say that the new export features have helped solve some pipeline headaches, so this focus on I/O is great and should continue.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Substance Painter

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base