Substance Painter

Let us know how to improve Substance Painter!
Some guidelines before posting:
- This place is dedicated to feature requests and/new ideas suggestions. It is not made for bug reports (you can use the forum or the bug reporters for this).
- Before to create a new ticket, make sure your idea hadn’t been suggested before (if so it’s better to upvote it)
- 1 post = 1 idea

Thanks

1. More controls for HDRI Environments

It would be great to be able to set apply a HSL filter to the environments. This way we could easily modify the color hue of the environment, make it greyscale if we don't want any colors to affect the textures, and so on.Also would be cool to apply a Blur filter if we want to make the environment reflections on the model softer, and why not let us rotate the environment also verticaly.
    These features are super handy for people who use the bake environment lighting filter.

3 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Substance by Adobe
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Substance Painter - Ability to apply Adjustment Curve to remap textures

Hi guys.
    Please release this patch ASAP!

We do not have the ability to remap textures that plug into channel input slots. But this is critical to the texturing workflow!

Any channel or port, such as color, roughness and so on, that can accept a texture should have the ability to offer remapping controls for that texture.

We need spline based remapping as in the Adobe Photoshop Curves adjustment. The levels controller is terrible.

Good examples to reference include the 3ds max has a node called "Output".

This way we can source 1 texture, plug it into a texture slot…

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. export different texture size per texture

in some cases its not desired to have all textures at the full resolution, so it would be nice to be able to specify each texture size in the export template rather than having all exported at the full resolution and then needing to reduce the size in an external software.

69 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Support for Surface Pro 7

I bought a new Surface pro 7 i7 with Intel Iris graphics.
    Painter doesnt even start up on it.
    After checking out all the recommended settings and tech overviews, it looks like theres no support for the GPU.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Set custom DPI and document size

Add the ability to work with desired UV document size and DPI, like Photoshop does.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Javascript API: Add alg.fileIO.CreateDirectory and alg.mapexport.SetExportPath

We have in our project structure mirror directories between our source assets (Substance painter, designer, photoshop, 3dsmax, etc) and our assets used bu our game engine (.png, .tiff, fbx, etc)

We would love to improve our studio workflow by having a SP plugin automatically exporting textures in the correct mirror path.
    The Javascript is great, but is lacking those two very simple and basic functions:

alg.fileIO.CreateDirectory(path) to simply create a directory.
    and alg.mapexport.SetExportPath(path) to change the current project export path.

Those are quite basic and would without a doubt be quite easy and quick to implement. It would be great…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Basic 3D Manipulation

It would be nice to be able to arrange (rotate,pan, scale) each piece of geometriy in the viewport separately and also to able to add further pieces e.g. one model, then a base plane, then a duplicate of the first model but rotated etc.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Add a manual update button for instantiate across texture sets

As my topic says. Instantiate across texture sets is very slow when I have a very large number of texture sets. I think we should create a manually updated button for it, we can choose to update automatically or manually. So when I have a model with more than a dozen texture sets, I can see the final effect when I need it.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Height map on materials in preview shelf

Material preview shelf in SP doesn't represent true material view without height map. Sometimes it's hard to find the materials I was looking for because of it. Please add height map to material previews so they'll look as in Source. Here is the image for comparison.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Height Maps look wrong in the Height Channel

Hi! It was nice to meet you all yesterday at Siggraph! I showed you a problem with height maps and I'm hoping you will fix it. I'll post it here so that you remember:

The neutral color in a height map should be gray because all render engines will interpret a .5 gray value as no bump/displacement. However, the neutral value for height maps in Substance Painter is black. When you look in the height channel, it often looks all black rather than gray. Both the negative and positive height values look white. It is confusing to visualize and exports…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. "All maps" at once in the Drop menu of textures in the layers window

When you click the drop menu In the layers panel to select specific texture " color, roughness, metallic, normal, height, etc ", to have in that drop menu a " All maps" option , that means, when you are on " all maps " when you drag the opacity slider of a layer, it will affect all the other texture types opacity for" color, roughness, metallic, normal , height, etc". Or a way to select multiple texture from the drop menu so when we drag the opacity slider of a layer to affect those texture types. This will improve our…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Speed up saves

Saving is becoming pretty slow and it's really frustrating

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Integrate 3DConnexion and extend shadow package lighting

I work with both programs and find the possibilities very good.
    But I wish I had two.
    Since I am a CAD designer, I also work with 3DConnexion's SpaceMouse Enterprise. Here it would be very good to integrate it, because then it would be possible to work more fluently while moving the model.
    I export the textures as PSD and TGA to use them in CinemaR20 and EEP Railwayxe from Trend. Here I have a problem with the export of materials. This is the case with steel, bronze, copper and so on, if I don't use Baket Lighting. If I…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Save all brush movement in uv(2d) space only! And possibility to move geometry.

When I paint something in 3d view Painter save it in 3d space as projection.
    When I paint something in uv(2d) view Painter save it in uv space. It looks weird as result. For example I want to rotate some part of geometry - visor on the helmet. I rotate visor and reload obj in project. All brush movement in uv view is save, but all brush movement in 3d view looks terrible, because visor now has diffrent position. When saving in 3d space can be more useful then in uv space? I think never. I think Painter need to…

15 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Complete "Painting Mode\Layer" for classic artists.

many artists need full functionality painting futures.
    it must be individual painting layer with floating color picker palette, maybe with color mixer, or color presets palette. with colorpicker tool, which worked in viewport. maybe with mixer brushes.
    ....and with everything else that is needed for comfortable classic drawing on ONE layer.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Paint to correct normal map skew like Marmoset

It would be really nice to be able to paint out skewed normal detail with per pixel blending like you can do in Marmoset. There is a plug-in that is kind of a hacky way to do it in the substance share database that works by masking the edges, but it does not work well in all cases, and is kind of annoying to set up. Marmoset does it with per pixel blending, so you can easily paint precise masks to correct for the skew. You can see what I mean here:

https://mk0marmoset2r9got8jk.kinstacdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/skewopt.gif

28 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. procedural alpha's not vector when working with brush

as i can tell from the title, procedural alpha's not vector when working with brush. it is vector when working with stencil, but it's much better and easy to work with brush you know! i hope this kinda thing get fixed.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Edge Bleeding when 'Exporting Mask to file'

I find I use Export Mask to File a lot when painting Layer masks for use in engine, but these don't seem to have Edge Bleeding, so when I use them in engine, I get a seam where it mips to black instead of white.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Solo view lighting

Currently there is either default non shaded solo view of channels or there is basic option to have some kind of shading to black ambient. Both are limited. Id like some additional options there to have solo view with lighting and tone mapping working. Something like basic view in Mari. So i can see fully shaded and tone mapped diffuse channel (maybe even with AO added) without the annoyance of specular and bump.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Substance Painter

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base